And now for something weird...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Yeah. And audiophiles spend huge bucks on monster cables, too.
In this case it's not Snake Oil but good engineering for extra net power with a scientific basis for that improvement. In material science we make this trade-off all the time with throughput of material processing at the expense of raw inputs like electrical power and process chemical use.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
In this case it's not Snake Oil but good engineering for extra net power with a scientific basis for that improvement. In material science we make this trade-off all the time with throughput of material processing at the expense of raw inputs like electrical power and process chemical use.
There is not a lot of info on the killerchiller link you posted.

But from what I read, it seems they're pre-chilling water that is then cooling the intercooler during the run. The compressor does not operate during wide-open throttle.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I've been working on turbocharged diesel engines for a few years now, and a chiller radiator that pre-cools the air prior to intake is an indispensable component if efficiency is to be maintained at competitive levels.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
No argument.

The "debate" is about using a portion of the engine power to cool the intercooler.
If there is a debate it's not about if the principle of engine driven AC intercooling can produce more net power from a ICE with a turbo/supercharger, it's only about if the Demon's system does. I see zero evidence it doesn't work on this specific engine system. Even without it the car is still worth more than that busted hunk of junk the kid was scalping.:D

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
In my view, the debate should rather be how much of the engine's power can be used for the system.... that's where things get murky, since every engine has unique characteristics...
For a gasoline engine I would think the power usage of the system would be limited by detonation and pre-ignition. For detonation high octane racing fuel helps to a point as would retarding the ignition timing but eventually you will get to the detonation threshold if you keep increasing the density of the mixture by reducing temperature. That's when bad things happen.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/crew-called-own-station-response-time-exceptional
A Dunedin fire crew responded to a smoke alarm sounding at their own fire station this morning.

Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokeswoman Lyn Crosson said a Lookout Point crew was called to Lookout Point station just before 9.30am but stood down ''very quickly'' after they discovered the alarm was due to smoke coming from an oven.

''Something overcooked maybe.''

Crews were on scene within moments, she said.

''Our response time was exceptional''.