And now for something weird...

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I've always thought of military ships as very uncomfortable places to live in...
My experience tend to confirm nsaspook's, albeit, in an SD14, classic freighter of British design, the Master's cabin (mine), located immediately below the bridge wings, offered 38ºC (100º F) at nap time...

Common vessels trapped in ice, in high seas, mean a real problem. A serious concern is the pressure of the surrounding ice that could damage the hull. Ice breakers tend to have not that problem.
Also keep in mind that maneuvering in ice, you could eventually damage your propellers.

This could make for an interesting reading. And this as well.

And something here to watch, of course.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
My experience tend to confirm nsaspook's, albeit, in an SD14, classic freighter of British design, the Master's cabin (mine), located immediately below the bridge wings, offered 38ºC (100º F) at nap time...
The weird thing was losing your sea legs when in port. You feel like the solid ground under you is swaying as if you're still on waves. After months a sea we could walk a straight line in a hurricane conditions but on the pier it seems like a earthquake was happening. This can last for days, strong drinks help.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I've always thought of military ships as very uncomfortable places to live in...
Talking of tight living quarters!
They are just refurbishing a museum gallery devoted to the little ship that opened up the Canadian north for the Hudson Bay Co.
Called the Nonsuch, a 53ft Ketch built in 1650. In the 1960's, the Hudson bay commissioned the original boat yard in Devon to reproduce a replica which they intended to sail over to N. America.
I visited her moored in the Thames in London, At that time I was planning to emigrate to Canada and as a amateur sailor I would have loved to have been part of the crew.
What a thing to boast , yea I came over on the Nonsuch!
Unfortunately due to her getting 'lost' in the English channel, Hudson Bay decided to ship her across the Atlantic where she toured the states until reaching the Museum in 1973.
The original was a supply ship for her majesty's navy.
Max.

Attachments

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Talking of tight living quarters!
They are just refurbishing a museum gallery devoted to the little ship that opened up the Canadian north for the Hudson Bay Co.
Called the Nonsuch, a 53ft Ketch built in 1650. In the 1960's, the Hudson bay commissioned the original boat yard in Devon to reproduce a replica which they intended to sail over to N. America.
I visited her moored in the Thames in London, At that time I was planning to emigrate to Canada and as a amateur sailor I would have loved to have been part of the crew.
What a thing to boast , yea I came over on the Nonsuch!
Unfortunately due to her getting 'lost' in the English channel, Hudson Bay decided to ship her across the Atlantic where she toured the states until reaching the Museum in 1973.
The original was a supply ship for her majesty's navy.
Max.
That's one beautiful lady... :)