Analog or Digital

greens

Joined Jan 31, 2008
So I was asked this question in my electronics class, there isn't a right or wrong answer, I just found the topic interesting. so here's the question...

Is the Universe analog or digital and why do you think so.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It is both. On a macro scale, it is analog, and the observable variables are part of a continuum. At very small scales the world of Quantum Mechanics takes a distinctly digital flavor where things that used to appear continuous are now forced to have discrete values.

greens

Joined Jan 31, 2008
That makes a lot of sense. When I was first asked this question I really didn't know what to say. Then when I started to think about it, I pretty much came up with the same answer. The universe can't just be analog or just be digital otherwise it wouldn't work properly.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
I think the answer he was looking for is "The world is analog", which is true for the most part. The idea of a digital reality seems unnatural to me, but I am not a quantum physicist.

Steve

rwmoekoe

Joined Mar 1, 2007
i agree with papabravo. quantum physics is a prove that the world consists of quantized matters and scales. perhaps we are too big that we see things as continuous.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
It is both. On a macro scale, it is analog, and the observable variables are part of a continuum. At very small scales the world of Quantum Mechanics takes a distinctly digital flavor where things that used to appear continuous are now forced to have discrete values.
Exactly. That said, could we not argue that since the universe is constructed from the fundamental building blocks of quantum mechanics that it is essentially digital, however as rwmoekoe points out, we are so large (with respect to the quantum world) that we perceive an analog notion of the universe and world around us?

Dave

h.d

Joined Oct 22, 2007
i think its in real is analog
but when we process it its converted to digital to be acceptable to the brian
because analog is a continous digits in very small scale.