Analog continuous

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
Hi guys, I don't know why I'm overthinking it but really its every time in our electronic lab at college I face like this problem and keep it in my heart but I can't still keeping it! so by you guys you may help me more than what your guess.

lets assume I've an electronic wave "analog" and I want to calculate the distance A1, A2 ; my question once I calculate A1, all fine , all what I do is the last "point" - first "point"="distance between" , for calculating A2, I do the same, but here what we actually doing is calculating the marked "black point" in the distance twice, one in calculating the distance of A1 and second one in calculating the distance of A2, but then I must get wrong answer..something uncleared for me, any help? I mean I mustn't include the "marked black point" in the second distance of A2 ..so why are we including it?
Maybe my problem that I'm not succeeding at all in connecting to material "theoretically" ?!
here's a photo that's describing my question/hesitance

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It is not quite clear what you are asking.
Distance usually refers to a spacial measurement in units such as metre or mile.
In the context of electronics, the distance between two points on a wave is a time interval in unit of second.

I will assume that A1 refers to a time interval.
Similarly, A2 refers to a time interval.

What is it you are trying to measure?
Do you want the total interval A1 + A2, which one would assume is the period of the sine waveform?

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
to be honest, here what I'm facing on analog world, lets say I calculated distance between point "a" and "b" then immediately in my head (analog what im thinking) this distance is including all the points between a and b (borders points a,b included into that distance that I calculated) ..so once we are "not" consider for example the point b then I must get the previous distance between a and b, and subtract the point "b" because not including it in this case..

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
First of all, I do not know how you would calculate the time interval between two points on a waveform unless I was given some information on the absolute phase angles of the two points.

However, given a waveform of a signal on the screen of an oscilloscope, I may be able to measure the time interval between two points of the wave on the screen.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
to be honest, here what I'm facing on analog world, lets say I calculated distance between point "a" and "b" then immediately in my head (analog what im thinking) this distance is including all the points between a and b (borders points a,b included into that distance that I calculated) ..so once we are "not" consider for example the point b then I must get the previous distance between a and b, and subtract the point "b" because not including it in this case..
Did you read what you wrote? Did it make sense to you? It didn't make any sense to me at all. Please try rephrasing your question so we can understand your reasoning. Then maybe we can give you an answer.

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
once again ;
to be honest, here what I'm facing on analog world, lets say I calculated distance between point "a" and "b" then immediately in my head (analog what im thinking) this distance is including all the points between a and b (borders points a,b included into that distance that I calculated) ... for instance lets assume I've two points "3" and "4" then distance between them is 1, what I look at 1 like 1 is covered by all points from point 3 till point 4 and if there's any point on that range is wiped out then what I assume that distance 1 must be subtracted by the point that I wiped out .... you got my question? but I don't guess that distance is followed by points that's the problem but I don't know also why

thanks

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is English your mother tongue (i.e. your first language)?
No put down intended, I just need to know in order to be able to put things in proper perspective.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
once again ;
to be honest, here what I'm facing on analog world, lets say I calculated distance between point "a" and "b" then immediately in my head (analog what im thinking) this distance is including all the points between a and b (borders points a,b included into that distance that I calculated) ... for instance lets assume I've two points "3" and "4" then distance between them is 1, what I look at 1 like 1 is covered by all points from point 3 till point 4 and if there's any point on that range is wiped out then what I assume that distance 1 must be subtracted by the point that I wiped out .... you got my question? but I don't guess that distance is followed by points that's the problem but I don't know also why

thanks
No.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
once again ;
to be honest, here what I'm facing on analog world, lets say I calculated distance between point "a" and "b" then immediately in my head (analog what im thinking) this distance is including all the points between a and b (borders points a,b included into that distance that I calculated) ... for instance lets assume I've two points "3" and "4" then distance between them is 1, what I look at 1 like 1 is covered by all points from point 3 till point 4 and if there's any point on that range is wiped out then what I assume that distance 1 must be subtracted by the point that I wiped out .... you got my question? but I don't guess that distance is followed by points that's the problem but I don't know also why thanks
I think I am beginning to understand what you are asking. In analog terms, the difference between two values (points) is a quantity. If you change the relationship between the two values, the quantity will change. If you change the quantity, the relationship between the two values will change. You appear to be regarding the difference not as a quantity but as a series of consecutive samples. Does this relate to a specific application that you are considering or is your question purely theoretical?

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Very confusing. There are TWO lengths and TWO distances between A and B.

Line of sight distance and walking distance.

Norfindel

Joined Mar 6, 2008
In an AC signal you could talk about a time difference between the points, an amplitude difference, or a phase difference. And i think that that's it.

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
I think I am beginning to understand what you are asking. In analog terms, the difference between two values (points) is a quantity. If you change the relationship between the two values, the quantity will change. If you change the quantity, the relationship between the two values will change. You appear to be regarding the difference not as a quantity but as a series of consecutive samples. Does this relate to a specific application that you are considering or is your question purely theoretical?
Yes I'm regarding the difference as series of consecutive samples .. is that wrong?! if so, so how I should consider the difference?! what do you mean as "quantity" ....just as a number?

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
Is English your mother tongue (i.e. your first language)?
No put down intended, I just need to know in order to be able to put things in proper perspective.
Well guys, I will try to explain it again as much as simple I could.
I regard the difference between two values (points) as a a series of consecutive samples. So If I change for example any point either included or not included, the distance must be change, but apparently that's wrong (idk why) and I'm miss understanding the concept. to clear more by an example lets say I have area [a,b] which it's included the borders so the distance is b-a and now if I exclude the borders, i.e the area is (a,b) so the distance is still the same previous distance (the case of including the borders [a,b] ) ........ here's my problem how including the borders and excluding them from the area giving me the same distance?!

** why am I regarding a line(distance) to consecutive points? because the definition of line is infinity consecutive of points ! **

how should I regard the distance?! if as quantity..what that mean?! thanks alot!!

Last edited:

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I'm beginning to think there's at least a slight chance that English may not be this poor fellow's native language...

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
We are going to try a different approach. We will attempt to improve your communication skills.

Think in terms of sound bites. Short sentences, one sentence at a time.
Think - fewer words are better than too many words.

Before you start typing, think of what you want to say.

Type one sentence at a time. Type no more than 12 words for each sentence.
Type no more than 4 sentences.

When you are finished, read over what you wrote and ask yourself if it all makes any sense.

(Do not use filler phrases. Read over what you wrote in post #13. Do not fill your sentence with words such as:

"but apparently that's wrong (idk why) and I'm miss understanding the concept. to clear more by an example lets say "

Can you see that such words are of no benefit to the reader?)

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Well guys, I will try to explain it again as much as simple I could.
I regard the difference between two values (points) as a a series of consecutive samples. So If I change for example any point either included or not included, the distance must be change, but apparently that's wrong (idk why) and I'm miss understanding the concept. to clear more by an example lets say I have area [a,b] which it's included the borders so the distance is b-a and now if I exclude the borders, i.e the area is (a,b) so the distance is still the same previous distance (the case of including the borders [a,b] ) ........ here's my problem how including the borders and excluding them from the area giving me the same distance?!

** why am I regarding a line(distance) to consecutive points? because the definition of line is infinity consecutive of points ! **

how should I regard the distance?! if as quantity..what that mean?! thanks alot!!
How you regard any quantity depends on the particular application you are using it in. Do you have a particular application that you are trying to asses or is this a purely theoretical question?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In response to your query, here is my answer:

1) There are two points, point-A and point-B.

2) Each point may have certain properties that define the point, such as, voltage, time, phase.

3) There is no distance between these two points because spacial position is not a property of the point.

4) We can calculate the difference between the same property of point-A and point-B.
For example, the time interval between point-A and point-B is the time at point-B minus the time at point-A.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
In response to your query, here is my answer:

1) There are two points, point-A and point-B.

2) Each point may have certain properties that defines the point, such as, voltage, time, phase.

3) There is no distance between these two points because spacial position is not a property of the point.

4) We can calculate the difference between the same property of point-A and point-B.
For example, the time interval between point-A and point-B is the time at point-B minus the time at point-A.
I understand what you are saying. A and B are the same point but at different times. Because of the time difference, some of the point's properties may have changed, but if they do not have the property of spacial position, they do not exist in any physical dimension.
Time is continuous (unless you are discussing particle physics), so how do you propose to remove some of the time between the events which do not exist ?
I really do not understand your questions. They appear to be illogical to me. Can you explain the context of them?

Norfindel

Joined Mar 6, 2008
The issue here is: what do you want to measure?
Remember: the graph is just a representation of the instantaneous voltage of the signal (Y axis) vs the time at the instant it was measured (X axis). You can divide time and voltage in any amount of decimals you want, so the length of the line of the graph doesn't means much.
You could measure the rate of change of voltage vs time, which would be the tangent of the graph. But that's all.