amp repair question any ideas why an amp would blow the main fuse with the

mike88448844

Joined Jan 17, 2017
i have an eclipse series 500 amp that blows fuses even with the power switched off all i've come up with is 1,power cord 2,fuse holder 3power switch it does not blow the internal fuse that is on the power supply board also input power is correct 117 Vac any ideas would be greatly appreciated thx

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You expect a lot with no information Try to find the schematic on the web and add it to your post. (Or post the URL of the link to the schematic.)
If you cant find the schematic then some clear pictures of the mains input area of the power supply board and possibly trace the schematic between the mains input and the bridge rectifier or mains transformer depending on the type of power supply.

Les.

mike88448844

Joined Jan 17, 2017
You expect a lot with no information Try to find the schematic on the web and add it to your post. (Or post the URL of the link to the schematic.)
If you cant find the schematic then some clear pictures of the mains input area of the power supply board and possibly trace the schematic between the mains input and the bridge rectifier or mains transformer depending on the type of power supply.

Les.
i havent been able to come up with a schematic so far however i have some elec knowledge im no expert by any means i just thought it odd that the main (external)fuse blows when you plug the unit in (nothing else connected)however the next fuse in line (or so i think at least wont know till i get that schematic or disassemble the unit just picked it up yesterday)is on the power supply board and is just fine im going to take a dmm to it tomorrow i just thought to throw out the question to see if anyone had seen a similar situation also thanks for the reply

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
If it has a surge suppression MOV type device across the input lines AND the unit has experienced an input voltage "event".
The MOV may be shorted.
Use an ohm meter on the AC input cable with power switch in the on position -NOT plugged in.
What does the meter read measuring across the plug blades.