Amco motor wiring

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I hope that those four leads have some individual identification so that they can be identified. And hopefully the motor body has a legend some place showing connections. If not, then possibly the motor manufacturer or local seller might be helpful.
Do you even not the stated supply voltage for the motor.??

chessera2527

Joined Feb 5, 2024
the other end of the wires are numbered and color coded to the switch and the capacitor but i do not know how they connect to the motor because they cut the wires. shoudn,t the start winding go to the capacitor wires and the other 2 go to the run winding?
i just need to determine which wire lead to which winding. i thought there was a test of the wire coming out of the motor that helped to determine the windings!!

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
You can use a Multi-Meter to find Continuity and DC-Resistance,
these figures will help to narrow-down the possibilities of how the Motor was originally wired.

Then, for testing with normal High-Voltages,
You can use an old-school ~500-Watt, Quartz-Halogen-Light-Bulb as a crude "Safety-Current-Limiter"
to perform various performance tests.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The capacitor is connected in series with the start (higher resistance) winding, the run winding goes directly across the supply.

chessera2527

Joined Feb 5, 2024
Well i hooked it up and it works just fine, will have to see if it is going the right direction after i get it atached to the sewing machine. I hooked up the red #4 wire to S1 on the start winding and yellow #1 to the other start wire S 2, then i hooked blue #5 to R 1 run winding and silver # 6 to the other run winding R 2 I hope this helps anyone else that needs to determine how the wires go on their motor. Thanks for the help Max !!!

chessera2527

Joined Feb 5, 2024
those old teledyne amco motors are really heavy duty, mostly cushions but could make some leather stuff if needed, some of the cushions have leather tops

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Are these Sewing-Machines controlled by a "Clutch-System" ?,
if so, it would be better to change the Pulley-Ratios than to
attempt to control the Speed of the Motors.

By changing Pulley-Ratios,
You have the option of sacrificing Speed for more Torque,
or sacrificing Torque for more Speed.

Considering that You have a 1/2-Horsepower-Motor,
Torque is probably overly abundant, and Speed of the Machine is the only concern.

Motor-Speed-Control can certainly be done,
but only with a sacrifice of Motor-Power, and possibly even Motor-Longevity.