Amazing Aviation

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I thought the story was originally "take-your-child-to-work day"
That's what I thought when the ambulance crew came to get me (2 years ago).
"Oh C%^p. They sent children."
But they were completely capable of their jobs and fairly nice to talk to...considering I was mostly out of my mind at the moment.:D
(Getting old sucks.:()

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I'm sure they're not the type of people that fool around when they're hard at work ... otherwise they wouldn't have reached that level of responsibility so young
Stop throwing wet towels on our fun. We're old and old people are get to make fun of the next generation. Besides, how many hours of video games, drinking parties, road trips or joins do you think those two have had in their lives? My guess is that the sum of all listed events for both kids is 3 or less (all were video game hours and most was while they were trying to fix a vintage NES system for their dad).

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Interesting... and here I thought that entitlement was a millennial ailment ... it had never occurred to me that baby boomers could suffer from it too! :D
Who said I was against entitlements? Based on my observations of 60, 70 and 80-year-olds in my area, additional entitlements I can look forward to include... wearing enormous eyeglasses, parking at an odd angle and taking up two or three places at the grocery store, telling millennials how hard I had to work to get what they have, complaining about technology in general, driving in the inside lane of the interstate 10 mph slower than the rest of traffic (sometimes with one blinker flashing), ...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Interesting... and here I thought that entitlement was a millennial ailment ... it had never occurred to me that baby boomers could suffer from it too! :D
I'm considering it. I used to use Harry Potter as my excuse for a second childhood, but that's getting pretty old.:(
I need a new excuse to refuse to act my age.

and, thanks for the suggestions, Gopher.
Maybe pull my pants up to my ribs and holler, "Get off my lawn!"

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
... and holler, "Get off my lawn!"
Boy, when Clint Eastwood said that in, Grand Torino, I had flashbacks of my old WWI vet neighbor yelling at me when I was about 10-years old.
When I say WWI vet, he actually fought for the German Army. He barely spoke English and spent is days sitting in a steel lawn chair placed just inside of his garage as he kept watch over his son's property. If we had to get a ball or other toy out of his yard, he would wave a small machete at us and yell (even though we are not Swedish), "God damn Swedes, get out".

upload_2016-9-27_10-16-32.png

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"God damn Swedes, get out of yard".
I had a neighbor like that from 5 years old to 10 years old.
He must have spent thousands trying to grow a lawn!
It was always raked out, seeded, and guarded by strings on wooden stakes.
Still, it wouldn't grow. (Wrong seed for deep shade.)
When he asked my mother why our lawn was so nice and his was so awful, she said it was caused by children playing on the grass.:rolleyes::D

He was such a nasty old coot! Always worried about his daughters being despoiled. The oldest one was 7 when we moved.:confused:
Obviously, I didn't know what, "despoiled" meant, but I ran every time his car hit the driveway.:D
You might say I flew, just to be on topic for this Thread.:oops:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
10 years would be best
Don't worry, for now, Driving slowly is not my cup of tea. My wife is still mad that we had to pay my ticket for +27 in a 35 zone. I figure an entertaining ride to/from work deserves a ticket once in a while - way cheaper than an amusement park and how many people get to start an 8:30am meeting with the adrenaline feel of just exiting a roller coaster ride every day.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I figure an entertaining ride to/from work deserves a ticket once in a while
I don't do that regularly...there are basically no hills in Florida.:(
But I do remember frightening my nephew, twice.:)

A curve in Kentucky at the top of a long, up-hill climb.
I would fly through that curve at 70 MPH with Nephew screaming, "You can't do that!":eek:
I said, "You're right. I can't do that with you screaming in my ear. Next time we come this way, shut up and I'll show you how.":p
The secret is that I had 3000 pounds of concrete and rebar on the floor of the truck. Center of gravity was about 2 inches above the axles.:p

Then, there was a left turn in heavy traffic. With a Whopper in my right hand, I cranked the steering wheel to the lock with my left hand and rocketed between cars while he grabbed the dashboard and stomped the imaginary brake pedal.:D

I can understand the concern. I was driving an old truck with no power steering, but we're back to the, "25 years on crutches". I have the upper body strength to crank that kind of truck clear to the steering lock (at a dead stop) with my non-dominant hand. But he didn't know that.:p