Amateur Radio

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Looking for advice and suggestions on operating an amateur radio.:)

Any advice and suggestions are welcome. some tips also for the test.:D

Lightfire

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Thanks bertus,

i am planning on buying the book for review. but i can only but that on seminars.:(

Lightfire

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello bertus,
How to get a license for music? I heard that needs license in order to get broadcast.
I am wondering every individual music has separate license. so why most radio stations has many musics?
Thanks.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You most probabbly will not be able to get a licence to transmit music.
A Amateur Radio licence is for the holder to be able to experiment on the Amateur radio bands.
This can be done with talking to each other or some of the many digital modes.
Also the Amateur Radio licence holder can be helpful in case of an emergency.

Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Most dicussion you will hear are about the technical stuff.
Radio Amateurs are also called HAMS.
Most of them are very enthousiastic about the number of countries thay have talked to or the reached distance with low power transmitters (QRP).
The Radio amateur clubs can tell you a lot more.

Bertus

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
maxpower097, go and jump! :D

Hello,

Is it OK to have a show over the radio, amateur radio? For example, talk show with different topics?

Thanks

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hello,

A very good book for ham radio is the one from the ARRL:
http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Handbook-2012-Hardcover-Edition/
That book, as the years passed, became less and less what was in the past: a good help to build things.

Nowadays, there, you will find a little of everything, I agree, but do not expect to build any equipment from what is shown. After all, trying to cram a lot of all the disciplines involved in that hobby, in just one book even big, is illusory.

After buying two of them in different moments of my life as radio amateur, I realized that it was an expense I could have avoided.

Long time I do not reccomend buying it. Maybe yes, it is better trying to get an old one.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
The rules and regulations in effect in your country must be followed. FWIW hams have a long-standing "gentlemen's agreement" to avoid on-the-air discussions of religion, politics, and sex. However, you may discover that there is an official shortage of gentlemen nowadays.

In general, broadcasting is not allowed on amateur radio frequencies. This rules out "shows" of any kind. There are plenty of other things to talk about, ranging from the weather to antennas to how to bounce a signal off the moon. Or the number of kittens just born in your sock drawer.

Some hams arrange a scheduled contact ("sked") via Internet, snail mail, or carrier pigeon, specifying a time (in UTC) and one or more frequencies to try. Tune in on the amateur bands available in your country. You will learn a lot just by observing. (That's a quote from Archie Bunker.)

73, Tom -- observing my 54th year as a ham.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
At this stage of my ham career, I use only equipment manufactured by Kenwood, Yaesu, or Alinco. When I started out, one could buy parts inexpensively to make a one tube transmitter which would get you on the air. I built a few such, and converted dozens of police or taxi radios for hams to use on the two meter band. Times have changed -- a lot. One can still get kits and get on the air with them, but nowadays most hams use manufactured equipment. There is a lot of used and usable equipment for sale at swap meets and on the Internet. A caution, however: there are lots of scam artists at work, so don't plunk out any money until you are reasonably certain it's a legitimate deal.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
My friends dad had a big setup with computers, monitors, and maps and all that crap. He was actually a weatherman for the local news. People use it for all types of purposes. Even some pedophiles got busted sending jpg's over the ham to each other in a big bust back in the day. The actual official use is for when there is a natural disaster and the phones are all down, the gov or red cross will contact you and ask you to start relaying data. When armagedon comes and the phones are all out. HAMS will be the only communication device thats working. Thats why you have to get a license and a station ID. Its a really noble thing to do. Because if you have a large set up you can even help when the earthquakes hit haiti or where ever. Taking down survivor info and relaying it to other people, they/ hopefully we someday will be the operators of the world in the event of a catastrophy.

Last edited: