Amateur Radio Operators

K8MHZ

Joined Jun 1, 2008
Are any of you licensed amateur radio operators?

Those that aren't, I think you would really enjoy it. It's a great craft to apply your knowledge to. I teach the subject and would be more than happy to assist anyone here in getting into the craft.

Thanks!

Mark, K8MHZ
Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator
Instructor, Amateur Radio Class at West Michigan Technical Academy

Caveman

Joined Apr 15, 2008
I'm a technician class, but I don't ever go on the air. I thought it would be cool to learn about the radio circuits, but I have no interest in rag-chewing.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
I have my ticket, and a few rigs...... havn't used em for a while, and no room for HF antenna's..... I got sick of talking about the signal, the rig, the weather, the rose's, and finally which part of the anatomy had fallen off recently. The hobby is dying due to attrition, technology (cellphones, satellites,the internet etc), and lack of interest.
The removal of the Morse requirement here some years ago, promoted me to General class, but in truth, after getting the gear... I have never actually used HF, and am rarely even on the higher bands.

ZL4VCS

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Like Caveman, I got my tech ticket, an let it lapse several years ago. KB5BNW. Not sure I'd want to go through the hassle to renew it.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am a radio-amateur for about 30 years, but i have not used my rig (2 meters) since i got married 16 years ago.
There is also no possibility to put an antenna somewhere.
My callsign is PE1BLY, i am from amsterdam,holland.

Greeting,
Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just got back from Dallas Ham Com today. Looks like I'll get to renew my license after all.

Equipment is not needed. Just pass the test, and your local countries government will issue you a license with a call sign, which is required that you use if you transmit (so you can be identified if there are any issues).

KB5BNW is mine.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of the reasons equipment is not really required is if you use someone elses. It's like a car, if you have a license you don't have to own the sucker.

roddefig

Joined Apr 29, 2008
One of the reasons equipment is not really required is if you use someone elses. It's like a car, if you have a license you don't have to own the sucker.
Heh, well I got it to join the ham club at my university but I don't really use the radios. I just enjoy getting together with a group of people who are into electronics.

canino

Joined Jun 21, 2008
I received my Class A Radio Telephone License in 1957 and my Novice Ham License in 1960 and my Advanced Ham License in 1960. My perspective is that Ham radio has really gone down hill since the removal of the code requirement. I have never heard so much foul language which in and of itself degrades the once proud hobby of Ham Radio. It was a great hobby when we were designing and building our own gear; mostly with old WWII surplus electronics. I designed and built all my own "Home Brew" until the early 80's when I became inactive. There are still a lot of really good Ham's still around and doing neat things with radio but overall the bands are filled with far too many [any is too much] malcontents.. IMHO

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I received my Class A Radio Telephone License in 1957 and my Novice Ham License in 1960 and my Advanced Ham License in 1960. My perspective is that Ham radio has really gone down hill since the removal of the code requirement. I have never heard so much foul language which in and of itself degrades the once proud hobby of Ham Radio. It was a great hobby when we were designing and building our own gear; mostly with old WWII surplus electronics. I designed and built all my own "Home Brew" until the early 80's when I became inactive. There are still a lot of really good Ham's still around and doing neat things with radio but overall the bands are filled with far too many [any is too much] malcontents.. IMHO
It's like a lot of things in life, times change. Back when I was first getting my ticket a lot of people were going for the repeater, which doubled as a nice cell phone before cell phones had taken off.

I went to the Dallas HamCon in Plano last weekend, it suprised me how many Mason's were also Ham's. Shouldn't have actually, both groups value integrety and will talk your leg off if you let em.