Amateur needs some help

Hamish McLagan

Joined Jun 17, 2016
Hi experts, here's my problem.
I have a cheap plug in the wall 12V 2700mah battery charger. Plug it in, hook it up, bobs your uncle.
However
I wasn't to use it for electrolysis rust removal and zinc electroplating.
For this I need to be able to change both the voltage and the amperage.
Would like to have them on dials with digital readout if poss.
Possible?
How?
Will need guidance. I can solder etc and have a basic knowledge
Many thanks

ClassOfZero

Joined Dec 28, 2016
In all honestly for rust removal it's not all that critical, I just used a XBox PSU.

Can't really comment on requirements for zinc plating tho.

Hamish McLagan

Joined Jun 17, 2016
In all honestly for rust removal it's not all that critical, I just used a XBox PSU.

Can't really comment on requirements for zinc plating tho.
Yeah it works for rust removal now but terribly inefficient. 2.7A separate the water back to hydrogen and oxygen. It overheats the charger and it turns off. If I could reduce amperage to around 1A would be perfect.

Last edited:

ClassOfZero

Joined Dec 28, 2016
I just adjusted the amount of washing soda until the current draw was "about right".

I was using a 50L or 60L container, can't recall the amount of washing soda I used. I had mine running for a few weeks at a time and had no probs, had a fair bit to do. Tho I do admit to being lazy and not removing any paint before dipping.

Hamish McLagan

Joined Jun 17, 2016
I just adjusted the amount of washing soda until the current draw was "about right".

I was using a 50L or 60L container, can't recall the amount of washing soda I used. I had mine running for a few weeks at a time and had no probs, had a fair bit to do. Tho I do admit to being lazy and not removing any paint before dipping.
I've got a 20L bucket, so reducing the electrolyte will drop the amperage?
Did you just measure at anode and cathode?