Aluminum house...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@#12, I hope this is not your neighbor... or worse yet... I hope this is not you!

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humani...-house-trees-covered-in-aluminum-foil/2231578
Not a bad idea for heat reflection in a place where the heat index is above 100 for every day in July. The bad part is, it won't last very long. I have an aluminum shed that was here when I moved in...in 1978. Lovely for not rusting! So I framed the inside with 2x4's, added 2 inch slabs of foam insulation, bolted it to the concrete, installed 60 amps of 240 VAC and a ton and a half air conditioner. Probably the best back yard shed ever! I can arrive in a deadly sweat, cool the place from 120F to 80F in the time it takes to eat a sandwich, and load the truck for the next job while cooling off.

If all it took to do that was a roll of Reynolds Wrap, everybody would have a shiny house!

Of course, government agents are combing the books to find a way to tax it or make it unlawful. I say, "Write a law that says every activity or absence of activity is taxable" and save the bother of taxing everything individually. Just don't tell the government it's really a Faraday cage. That is probably already on the books as a threat to National Security (the ability to avoid government surveillance while pooping).

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
And also... I'm not so sure as for that thing making the house cooler... aluminum does reflect visible light, but I think it actually absorbs infrared

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I just checked for cell phone reception. No difference. Five bars inside and out. My local wireless phone drops out when I go in the shed. I guess its wavelength is too long to sneak in through the cracks.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A layer of foil - probably much thinner - is a common component of the insulation installed during construction around here, on one side of the panels they slap over the sheathing and below the siding. I believe it's also the moisture barrier, but anyway it probably contributes a little to the R value.

That house looks pretty darn cool, in my opinion. I doubt the trees like being wrapped.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Here is a picture from Google maps before the aluminum foil. It was a nice house. The article said he used spray adhesive to attach the foil. I bet he will be evicted soon and probably sued for destruction of property.

Attachments

Last edited: