Alternatives to PCBA inspection that are cheaper

annaschmidt

Joined Mar 2, 2023
Does anyone know of alternatives to PCBA inspection that are cheaper and do not require as much investment? maybe something with AI...

Does anyone know of alternatives to PCBA inspection that are cheaper and do not require as much investment? maybe something with AI...
You leave a lot of room for guess work...

Do you mean something that places "feet" onto the pads of your PCB and then tests inductance and resistance? Then I'd suggest rolling your own if you want something that's cheap. But it will take a while to amortize the cost of building one.

Do you mean an X-ray inspection system? I'd suggest just trying different manufacturers to find one with an adequate price point.

Do you mean a simple "I looked at the PCB and it looks okay," inspection? How about looking at it yourself? There's also OpenCV, which is a Computer Vision system. It's not AI, but then AI isn't necessary if you just want to make sure the PCB looks correct. You just need a camera hooked up to your PC and a reference photo of what the PCB looks like to get started.