Alternatives to Hall Effect Sensor?

geratheg

Joined Jul 11, 2014
I have a motor that uses a speed controller knob. I opened the box where the knob is and looked at the wiring and it appeared very fragile. The wires had broken. The engineering was not good. I'm not sure what controlled the speed, but the knob was magnetic and had a transistor looking thing. I think it uses a hall effect sensor?
There is a revolving magnet to which a sensor was attached, and turning the knob variably adjusted the motor's speed.

I need to replace the sensor because the pins completely broke off. I need this in 3 days and could order replacements, but I'm not sure if they will arrive on time. Are there alternatives to hall effect sensors? Does it matter which hall effect sensor is used as a replacement?

I looked at it, and it was kind of difficult to read but showed: 41905d on the component that I'm holding.

I have this local electronics shop: http://www.newark.com/hall-effect-sensors , it has many sensors and I don't know which one to use.

Also, can a potentiometer be used in place of a hall effect sensor? Wire the ends of the potentiometer to power and gnd, and use the middle as the variable voltage pin. Will that work?

What do you suggest I do?

Thanks!
IMG_38681.jpg IMG_38691.jpg

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That looks like a Honeywell ss400 series they can be had from Digikey, I get my orders next day air here in Canada.
You need the bi-polar version. A pot will not sub for it.
Max.

geratheg

Joined Jul 11, 2014
That looks like a Honeywell ss400 series they can be had from Digikey, I get my orders next day air here in Canada.
You need the bi-polar version. A pot will not sub for it.
Max.
Thanks for that! If it's not an ss400, would an ss400 most likely still work? Is it a variable, not an on-off type? It needs to adjust the speed when the knob is rotated.

Also, does it have to be that exact hall effect sensor? Would any of these work: http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/st...ze=25&showResults=true&pf=810003659,812029544

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If the device is the same as the ss400 there will be a corresponding magnet on the revolving part.
It does not appear to a retroreflective light sensor type.
Max.

geratheg

Joined Jul 11, 2014
There is also switch and latch type. What's the difference?
Considering the typing is "switch" or "latch" do these vary the Vout, or just switch one Vout?

cornishlad

Joined Jul 31, 2013
I'm still hoping this thread will keep going ! I'm just a couple of days ahead of you in wanting to know more about Hall effect transistors. But way of a "bump" I think I can say safely that the latching type require a S pole to turn on and a N pole to turn it off again. ( or maybe the opposite )

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
It also might be an old Sprague / Allegro Microsystems part, although it does not come up on the Allegro site. It would really help to see at least the input stage of whatever this sensor drives. Form a distance, I'd start with the "switch" version.

ak

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The part that revolves is a rotating magnet. I believe the magnetic strength varies as it is rotated.

Also would any of the sensors in my previous post work?
I would guess that you need the bi-polar type, the latch type uses two magnet poles, one to latch the other to unlatch, the uni-polar only switches on one particular pole.
Max.

geratheg

Joined Jul 11, 2014
I would guess that you need the bi-polar type, the latch type uses two magnet poles, one to latch the other to unlatch, the uni-polar only switches on one particular pole.
Max.
Digikey only sells bipolar latch. Placed the order, I hope it's suitable for variable speed adjust and not just a switch.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
It is effectively just a switch, it produces pulses at a frequency which is proportional to the rotational speed. The speed controller uses these pulses to adjust the drive to the motor.

geratheg

Joined Jul 11, 2014
It's a throttle that I think varies the magnetic strength when turned and it only turns about 90 degrees max. I hope it works.

Does the latching bipolar Hall effect require the polarity to be reversed to unlatch it? Will this work for what I described above? Because the magnet appears to just increase in strength, not reverse polarity?? I just want to make sure to order every possible Hall effect I could try in case the bipolar latching ones don't work. I'm not sure if there are some bipolar switch ones outside of digikey, but there are no bipolar switch ones on digikey, only bipolar latch.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I see all kinds of versions in Digikey? The bi-polar SS411P 480-5195-ND.
For the price you could also order a latch type, in case.
Max.

geratheg

Joined Jul 11, 2014
I already ordered every single one that was bipolar in the shape/package I need including the one you mentioned (which is bipolar latch with lower voltage rating). Ordered 4 different models. Thanks for the help.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You might want to look at where the sensor wires connect to the board and trace to where/what they are input to, such as Opto isolator etc, most of the Honeywell are open collector.
Max.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
The OP should describe what this oject is? If its a speed control on a Gopher or electric bike, then the Hall device is not an on/off switching type, but one that has a variable output in relation to the magnetic strength of the throttle control. If it is they can be replaced with a variable potentiometer. Some where I have a circuit of one of these types of controlers that show either a hall or var pot type control. The hall device UGN3503U is what is usualy used.

Last edited: