Alternatives to Glyptal (answered)

metermannd

Joined Oct 25, 2020
Just want to ask the brain trust -

My work has used Glyptal to seal trimmer pots after adjustment, but as it is easy to get where it's not wanted and it can be a pain to clean up such goofs, what other sealant compounds are there for this purpose?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If this is to seal a wiper or trimmer shaft from movement etc, usually just drip candle wax on it will hold it in place and easily removable.

metermannd

Joined Oct 25, 2020
We want something that we can easily control the application, so candle wax is out, and nail polish has been brought up, but we haven't made a decision on that (I know we have used clear nail polish in the past).

I've seen a white thick compound used on pots in the past, and have used something similar to 'seal' product after it was assembled, but cannot recall what its trade name was.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Have used Glyptol and Nail Polish my entire life applying with a flat toothpick using only a small amount. I would guess any liquid acrylic or conformal coating would work. Whoever applies it needs to have a handle on a good application procedure.

Ron

metermannd

Joined Oct 25, 2020
jbeng: That's it. Torque Seal! Thank you! :)

Yaakov: I know what you mean. We had one product we assembled for a while where the customer specified one of those RTV formulas that forms a nice concave meniscus around the parts needing sealing, but oh, did the area REEK of vinegar for a day or so afterward!

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
jbeng: That's it. Torque Seal! Thank you! :)

Yaakov: I know what you mean. We had one product we assembled for a while where the customer specified one of those RTV formulas that forms a nice concave meniscus around the parts needing sealing, but oh, did the area REEK of vinegar for a day or so afterward!
if it reeked of vinegar, it was the wrong RTV
that stuff rots the pots over a few years

Talk to your Dow rep, they also make RTV that do not give off acid.

metermannd

Joined Oct 25, 2020
Andrewmm: In the case of that reeky RTV, it was merely used to anchor the SMT electrolytic caps to the board, and was what that particular customer wanted. Fortunately, there were no moving parts on that board, and even more fortunately, it seems that we haven't had any more orders for that board, as the test cart for that board has been up in the test attic a while.