Alternating green and red LEDs discrete circuit

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Would be possible to scale this to work with higher supply voltages, let's say between 15 and 35V?
I tried to do it but Q3 in this circuit needs a 5V supply otherwise it doesn't turn off.
This will work from 15v to 35v but you'll have to change the current limiting resistors for the desired LED current.

1608609166370.png

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Everything still looks very complicated to me.
Using only three components in addition to the LED and working on a 35V supply with a 17V threshold.

Another neat trick is to add a capacitor. That makes a circuit that can detect short pulses that exceed the threshold, by making the green LED stay on longer.

Attachments

Martin_R

Joined Aug 28, 2019
i like to keep it simple, this is simple and scaleable voltage wise. The red LED will be dimmer than the green due to the voltage drops of the 2 diodes. May be possible to delete one of the diodes, depending on the forward voltage drop of the Green LED.LED example.JPG

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
That circuit will provide a dimming of the red LED and a brightening of the green LED.
Not true.
The TS requirements from post #1:
When an external positive voltage is applied (for example 5V), the red led switches off and the green led illuminates.
for example: initial state: external voltage 0V -> red led on, green led off
external voltage changes to +5V -> red led goes off, green led turns on
if the external voltage changes back to zero it resets the leds to the initial state.

Post #6 : The leds consume about 20 mA which the transistors like a 2N5550 can easily supply.

And post #9: Would be possible to scale this to work with higher supply voltages, let's say between 15 and 35V?
The only issue is if the 5 volt external voltage can supply the 23ma required in my design.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Have fun arguing the points y'all. I've made my contributions and I'm not going to sit here waiting for Christmas. OK, Christmas is only three days away - but the point is that there are different solutions possible. Personally I don't care if the TS chooses MY suggestion(s) or someone else's suggestion(s). If they've gotten the answer they wanted and have now left - that's their choice. I make mine. I'm done here.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Why is this so hard. Top pair of PNPs and two resistors limit current to 16mA (5v supply) to 18mA (50v supply). Bottom pair of transistors alternate the red and green LEDs at 16 or 18mA (depending on supply voltage).

4F3A88CC-8E2B-4188-BF67-E1A037314C62.jpeg

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Who ever said anything about 100mhz signal to switch LEDs ? With that circuit both LEDs are visually both on.
Your eyes respond very slowly. Note the Lower case "m" in milli-Hz. That is, 10 second cycle (5-second green, 5-second red). It is just an easy way to simulate a 5v signal being applied and 0V applied.