Alright what reason did a Mod close my Guns & Ammo thread

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Are people that touchy about the subject or they don’t think it belongs on an electronics forum?

Please Explain.

kv

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
I am absolutely neutral about guns. Have owned some previously, sold them later, might purchase one in the near future.

But I believe that, if we would like to discuss guns, there are many good forums to do that. An electronics forum is not the best place to do so. Just like political discourse.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I would just as soon have them delete it, it’s stupid that it degrades, I thought people would have had more intelligence about it since the debate isn’t arguable you would think? I’ve seen just about every side of the NRA vs People who don’t want guns on the street, it’s as old as “Old Hickory”. Heck even Whoopi Goldberg was asked why she carries, her answer was are you kidding, I guess you’ve never been in the neighborhoods I go to visiting family, when you know criminals carry why wouldn’t I.

kv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
We have a Corona Virus thread with mixed views and opinions. Using that thread as an example sometimes it is difficult to omit political views. Yet with minor adjustment that thread persist. The mere mention of the word gun will always bring up politics and unending arguments as to gun rights. As to why it was closed? Their sandbox their rules and there is no need to explain anything. As was mentioned, there are gun forums for those with an interest in firearms.

Ron

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I would have to ask why someone would want to post a discussion about guns on an electronics site. You would find much more response in a forum for guns because almost all people there would be interested.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I would have to ask why someone would want to post a discussion about guns on an electronics site. You would find much more response in a forum for guns because almost all people there would be interested.
We post here because this is where we are comfortable, and the site has an Off-Topic section. We can get rid of that section if the mods and the admins think it is just too much trouble. I'm agnostic on that particular action. The original post by the TS just asked for advice on a personal choice. He didn't ask for a larger policy debate on the subject.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
We post here because this is where we are comfortable, and the site has an Off-Topic section. We can get rid of that section if the mods and the admins think it is just too much trouble. I'm agnostic on that particular action. The original post by the TS just asked for advice on a personal choice. He didn't ask for a larger policy debate on the subject.
Yes good point. I often wonder why anyone would want to stop someone from talking about something.
There is a limit though because some subjects are so controversial that there will always be the pro and the con and they will sometimes reply repeatedly to make their own points, and sometimes those points even repeat. So it might seem like a waste of server space.
On the other hand, how much server space could a long conversation made up entirely of text take up. Text does not take up much room on hard disk, even long long text runs. The longest text file i have is around 50 megabytes and it took quite a while to produce from daily use. I have no trouble storing that plus copies on my hard drive.
Maybe it has to do with the backup process which takes more time with more data.
Social media sites must be doing ok with it though.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
If the moderators really wanted to fix this, all they would have to do is permit ALL topics while at the same time censoring any CONTENT that poses some sort of threat to the community at large.

I once had a thread shut down for supposedly violating the "no non-isolated power supply discussions" policy when in fact I wasn't even interested in discussing how to do any such thing - I just wanted to understand the underlying physical processes involved. Nothing was gained from locking that thread.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
If the moderators really wanted to fix this, all they would have to do is permit ALL topics while at the same time censoring any CONTENT that poses some sort of threat to the community at large.

I once had a thread shut down for supposedly violating the "no non-isolated power supply discussions" policy when in fact I wasn't even interested in discussing how to do any such thing - I just wanted to understand the underlying physical processes involved. Nothing was gained from locking that thread.
Well maybe some people get carried away sometimes (har har).
But if you want to know more about it i can explain some in a PM. Just dont blame me if anything goes wrong :)

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
As a courtesy to the TS, this explains the reason why we considered that the 'Guns and Ammo' should be Closed.

As you can see some other members 'hijacked it ' and used it as an opportunity to express their opinions on gun laws in general and it degenerated into a personal slanging match.

Although a Thread is posted in the Off Topic forum, it is expected that posters stay on the topic created by the thread starter.

Sadly some members seem to not understand, 'Off Topic' does not mean they can hijack a Thread and use it as an opportunity to express their own agendas.

E

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Exactly, I explicitly tagged Ron on the subject, I didn’t need someone coming in to say ”I don’t kill” that is the first comment to get the ball rolling now all you need is someone to counter it. Those people should have been warned with a ban, to shut up if your not talking about the Thread Start topic, not lock it, that to me is that a Mod was looking for someone to mis-behave because they didn’t like the Topic to begin with.

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Exactly, I explicitly tagged Ron on the subject, I didn’t need someone coming in to say ”I don’t kill” that is the first comment to get the ball rolling now all you need is someone to counter it. Those people should have been warned with a ban, to shut up if your not talking about the Thread Start topic, not lock it, that to me is that a Mod was looking for someone to mis-behave because they didn’t like the Topic to begin with.

kv
Maybe a thread starter should have control on who gets to participate?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
BTW, tell the Mod who was offended to Delete the Thread because I’m tired of looking at it, all it does is piss me off.

kv