All three Terminals of Mosfet Shorts!

Vaibhav Chandra

Joined Jun 6, 2018
Hi,

I am developing a PFC boost converter of 230V AC input and 400V DC out of 3.3KW ratting. Its a 2 IL Boost converter, when I was running the circuit in open loop at 30% duty cycle for both IL at 180 degree Phase shift. At 140V RMS AC input one of the mosfet GDS terminals are shorting. I am using
IPW60R099P6 Infinion Mosfet which have dv/dt of 100V/us, current ratting 36A and Breakdown Voltage of 650V. Also, operating frequency is 100Khz.
I am searching for the problem but couldn't find any case in which all GDS terminals are shorting.

Please help me with the solution!

Vaibhav

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I had this with a circuit I designed. In my case it was caused by exceeding the maximum gate-source voltage because of too great dV/dt on the drain being coupled by the drain-gate capacitance back to the gate.

Vaibhav Chandra

Joined Jun 6, 2018
Hi Albert,
Thank you for the reply.
How did you overcome that as I am already using very high dv/dt Mosfet. Any source you have from where i can change my design?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Hi Albert,
Thank you for the reply.
How did you overcome that as I am already using very high dv/dt Mosfet. Any source you have from where i can change my design?
Sadly the answer to that won't help you much as I gave up on the MOSFET and used a relay - I only needed to switch on/off occasionally.