AliExpress power supply

jmh474

Joined Jun 26, 2014
Morning all, I got brought a viable power supply kit off AliExpress as a gift and was wondering if anyone had much information on it or even built one them selves

Screenshot_20211010-112350_Chrome.jpg
Iv managed to find one website with some if formation on it but there isn't much out there

https://goteborgsaventyrscenter.se/...wer-board-stabilized-current-power-board-kit#

Thinking of starting on it tonight just need to get a v/a meter and some panel terminals for it then hoping it will be not to bad to use.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I hope you realize that you will need to come up with a suitable transformer. I think they are suggesting to use this board to replace the electronics in an old power supply, using the old case, power transformer and maybe meters. I always figured that I had some number of good DVMs on the bench, so a meter on the power supply was redundant.

Take heed of their warning:
" Do not use forValuable electronic equipmentPower supply for!!!"
(Not only one but three exclamation marks! It appears they do not have a lot of confidence in the reliability of the design or the source of the parts.)

jmh474

Joined Jun 26, 2014
Iv got some old transformers knocking about to use to guess it will be just a case of put it together and see what happens lol, more of a case of giving me something to do

zophas

Joined Jul 16, 2021
After reading the hilarious instructions for this power supply I'm not sure if I would bother building it. I loved the fact that " Electronic products are closely related to electricity, " Wow! :)

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Also note that besides locating a transformer, the two pass transistors (3055 aka 2N3055) require a large heatsink if passing currents like 5A.

jmh474

Joined Jun 26, 2014
It's was something my son wanted to get me but I think that's because he wants to help, iv loads of old heat sinks laying about so all good there to and iv found a volt/amp meter and some panel terminals in the shed also got a case for it so just now got to throw it all together

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Since it was a gift, you have little to lose in assembling it. I'd suggest assembling just the board and seeing if it works well enough for your needs before taking the time to build a box and adding accessories.
It's was something my son wanted to get me but I think that's because he wants to help
Does he or you know electronics? If it has deficiencies, you could work on remedying them.
iv loads of old heat sinks laying about so all good there
Unfortunately, they didn't allow enough room for a heatsink to be attached.

What I've found from Chinese knock offs is that sometimes they're not even good at copying a decent design. I have some Arduino Uno clones that should use an LMV358 to switch between Vin and USB power. The knock offs used LM358 instead, but LMV358 has rail-to-rail outputs and LM358 doesn't; so that could cause problems with "high" supply loading.