Alien life and human space age discussion

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I don't want to sound as though I'm being contiguously argumentative with you but I disagree with you here too.
I think I actually agree with his statement. The human race has been around for thousands of years, and we are no better off now than when we started. We still kill others over simple emotions like hate, jealousy, and pride. There really is nothing to stop us from annihilating ourselves. Personally, I don't think the humans will exist much longer. The actual amount of time, though, is a mystery. We'll only know it when it comes. I do feel that if we don't learn how to control ourselves soon, the human race will indeed go extinct in a relatively short period of time. I hate being the one to say this, but sadly, I honestly think it is true.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't think it is nations we have to fear, but individuals with knowledge. If someone can brew a distroyer of worlds (such as nanotech) with a hot plate and a concept then that would explain the great silence.

bradstormer

Joined Aug 6, 2010
there is a formula used by SETI to estimate the number of detectible alien civilisations in our galaxy. it is known as the Drake equation. but with such an equation guesses also have to be made making the formula questionable. but its better than nothing i guess.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
There are some who think that we are from another planet. I think its some kind of religion. had a roommate who kept talking about it. he believed in some wild stuff. had big series of books to back up his beliefs, but from my roommate's description the author was even more detached than my roommate.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
We have a guy who proclaims that too. He has a TV show and is VERY serious and emphatic about it. But of course he claims that only Greeks are the blessed people in that world.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
No offense Geo but Greeks ain't the blessed ones. :D

And we are not from another planet. We are from the planet Earth.
And we have not evolved, in fact we are de-evolving if I must say.

I am saying this because of the genetic problems humans are facing.
Like the dwarf sized humans and deformed ones.

Marrying brother and sister is not allowed due to the fact they will be genetically impaired.

It was prohibited after the second generation of the Adam's children I believe.

The First generation way allowed to marry but the first generation had different races of kids that we humans now have.

I have a question?

Why do scientists do not believe in miracles when they could not find scientific data to back up their finds.
I like to inform you about such miracle that scientists still are puzzled.

It is the well "Zamzam in Mecca. No one could find why it does not dry up. When every other sources of water taken from ground is going bad.
If you guys do not believe in this that it is a miracle, then I dunno what you really believe in. Remember that they are world famous scientists who are trying. Any one who really thinks about these kinda wonders will know who to believe in.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Scientists believe in a "life zone" around a sun, coincidentally, approximately the same orbit as this planet. They have also discovered a distant system where a planet resides in the "life zone". Is there life out there? Who knows.

Time is another agreed upon subject. I've yet to see or read about a conversion scale between any religious writings time scale and what is agreed upon by humans. They are always interpeted as the current times, yet, can we be sure they are? There is no reason why "God's time" and "evolution time scale" isn't the same. Those that wrote the religious books may not understood time as we do today. After all, the earth was believed to be flat for a very long time.

Since 1967, one second is defined as "the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom." One day is 86,400 seconds plus or minus a leap second when needed to bring UTC closer to UT1. You can extrapolate that out to a year. There are many years, depending on your discipline. A julian year is 365.25 days.

Remembering where we came from, a very very long time ago, we have little concept of the earliest definitionis of time, as it too, evolved as we became better observers. It's only a matter of time, no pun intended, that the second becomes relative to maser clocks.

I wouldn't discount life on other planets nor would I discount the religious stories. The details (time line) may have been written for the commoners concepts, for them to understand, at the time they were written.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I wouldn't discount life on other planets nor would I discount the religious stories. The details (time line) may have been written for the commoners concepts, for them to understand, at the time they were written.
I agree somewhat.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
I for one, believe that life exists where ever it's possible. The question I have, is it considered life if it's energies are obtained away from the oxygen/carbon model. Our minds are made up of very simple chemical/electrical interactions, that could be taking place on scales other than within the confines of a brain mass. Is 'destiny' not the conscious decision of a larger form, of which we are embodied? Is our cranium the 'prison' of complete thought? Is it man's dilema that we see ourselves riding in little vehicles, exploring space, when all we have to do is connect with the lifeforce of the cosmos? Is it in death that we are freed, as we know that life confines us to the physical being.
Sounds like you've been reading David Bohm.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
There are some who think that we are from another planet. I think its some kind of religion. had a roommate who kept talking about it. he believed in some wild stuff. had big series of books to back up his beliefs, but from my roommate's description the author was even more detached than my roommate.
The Safehold series of books by David Weber sort of touches on this concept as well.

Humans got too advanced, so they created a new Earth called Safehold, with a whacked religion that was an amalgam of all current Earth Religions, to prevent people from progressing past essentially the pre-industrial age. The religion had "proscriptions" that any machines were from hell, etc.

The books are quite detailed (long boring parts, yes), but enough to the point where I can see the UFOs of today humans that dropped us off here as "coming back to check up on us" now and again. There have been UFOs since Egyptians put their hieroglyphics in the Pyramids. They only became MUCH more common after nuclear testing started, and more people are looking up with video cameras too boost their existence, though many are faked. What if they are ETs, or far advanced humans, that come back and ensure we aren't going to destroy the world? There are a couple documented cases of nuclear missile silos being taken offline in the middle of a test, combined with lights in the sky.

Maybe we are better off not knowing? If you were a world leader, and were told the world would end December 18th, 2012, would you confirm it and cause panic, or keep quiet about it and let everybody be surprised? After all, there's no place to run to. That said, No, I don't believe the Mayan calendar 2012 wahoo stuff.

At the same time, there have been far too many documented UFO sightings that have been proven to not be fake (by governments and scientists) to ignore them, but I am curious of their source. Unidentified does not necessarily mean "Alien anal probe inbound", but simply "Unidentified".

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
TOG: Are you talking about the Armageddon Reef series?

If so it was because we lost a war with a genocidal species, then fell victim to a megalomaniac psychiatrist. It wasn't supposed to go that way.

Love David Weber's work by the way, along with John Ringo and Jack Williamson's (the Freehold series).

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I would like to add that 'humanoid' type life on this planet took a very long and strange turn of events to produce. Had the multiple near planetwide extinctions not happened. Had a different species at any point survived the many extinctions and lived to procreate and evolve, we would not be here at all.

Yes, a VERY long, destructive and strange string of events led to humans and should ANY of those events have happened differently or not at all, I believe there might not be sentient life here at all. Life surely exists out there in places, but not necessarily technological in any way. Pastoral, natural, abundant life is highly likely, but I think the evolutionary pressures that push a planets species to the extremes that led to humans is going to be the really rare catalyst leading to the little green men we all like to imagine.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
TOG: Are you talking about the Armageddon Reef series?

If so it was because we lost a war with a genocidal species, then fell victim to a megalomaniac psychiatrist. It wasn't supposed to go that way.

Love David Weber's work by the way, along with John Ringo and Jack Williamson's (the Freehold series).

Yes, Armageddon Reef is the first book in the series, I forgot the details of it, it was a few years since I read it, and there are new books in the series now that I look, so I'll have to grab them and re-read it all.

Thanks for reminding me!

--ETA: John Ringo is by far my favorite. I love the Ghost/Kildar (Paladin) series best, followed by into the looking glass, then the latest Live free or Die series. He's the only author I've bought the bound books from and had them autographed, then bought the e-book versions, as well as the audible.com audiobook versions. I much prefer audio books, so I can do other stuff and "read" at the same time.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I would like to add that 'humanoid' type life on this planet took a very long and strange turn of events to produce. Had the multiple near planetwide extinctions not happened. Had a different species at any point survived the many extinctions and lived to procreate and evolve, we would not be here at all.
Then again, if it happened any other way, we might not be talking about this anyway. In that case, it seems almost unavoidable that all this would happen.... :D

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I think I actually agree with his statement. The human race has been around for thousands of years, and we are no better off now than when we started. We still kill others over simple emotions like hate, jealousy, and pride.
Sure individuals do kill, and societies will always contain a *small percentage* of individuals who kill and do other nasty crimes. But I think it is an error in logic to say that "we" kill, as I know I don't and you probably don't, and the vast majority of the population don't either.

I also think it is another error of logic is to think that "because man did X for thousands of years so he must do it for ever". A baby might pee in his pants for thousands of days but that is not proof he will do it forever. The concept of "growing up" covers that.

There really is nothing to stop us from annihilating ourselves.
Sure there is. Knowlege helps dissipate the hate and intolerance that was born from ignorance. Look at the Cuban missile crisis, it could easily have been nuclear war but two *knowlegable* men, the leaders on each side, knew what would happen if the situation escalated and they worked to stop mankind annihilating ourselves. That was a shining light for mankind, especially after the terrible immaturity of WW2.

Personally, I don't think the humans will exist much longer. The actual amount of time, though, is a mystery. We'll only know it when it comes. I do feel that if we don't learn how to control ourselves soon, the human race will indeed go extinct in a relatively short period of time. I hate being the one to say this, but sadly, I honestly think it is true.
We disagree for sure. There's not a lot of evidence historically that societies must annihilate themseves. Generally if a culture dies it is from old age, or slow changes over time, or moving on, or assimilation etc. And I think the more knowlegable we are (and are becoming) the more likely we might average out into one planet or one people, but the less likely we are to "annihilate" all humans forever.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I guess we will see. And I think we have a big change coming soon; a perfect opportunity for us to "see" within our lifetimes. Your analogy of the baby learning not to pee in it's pants is what I was trying to say is not the case earlier. We routinely make the same mistakes twice, as we forget, or neglect to study, the mistakes of those who came before us. A small scale example would be a kid who gets drunk under age, goes out, does something stupid, gets in trouble. After the inevitable talk & punishment from the parents, one parent might say something like "Well, I did the same thing when I was your age. it's something everybody has to learn on their own." - generations do this as well. I think the internet will effet this to an extent, by making the people more informed as you mentioned, but to what extent, i'm not sure.