Alert-less

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
It seems that after a certain time period, or period of inactivity in a thread, I stop getting alerts for some threads. For example:

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/ir-beam-break-sensor-help.145863

My last alert was last Friday, but today (Tuesday) I see that there have been 4-5 additional posts, including one in which I was tagged. It has been this way for years, and I've brought up this issue before, so this is an update: still no changes.

ak

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
To clarify, I usually get alerts for watched-thread activity within one-two days of a recent posting. But if I ignore them for a day or two, later alerts stop happening even though the thread still is flagged as "watched".

ak

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
To keep from flooding you with alerts, the system attempts to send you an alert about a thread that has been posted to and then tries to NOT send you further alerts until you visit that thread. That is why the e-mail includes the statement, "You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages."

But the algorithm used to determine whether or not you have read the new messages is not perfect -- and I don't know the exact algorithm used by XenForo. Sometimes they only require that you visit the thread and that resets the event log. Usually they require that you visit the page that the new post referred to is on for some minimum amount of time. If even newer posts are on subsequent pages, you may need to visit the last page. It's all up to the person that wrote the code trying to decide what they think makes sense for deciding that you should start receiving alerts again, keeping in mind that they are trying to achieve a balancing act between sending you alerts you will want to see and not sending you alerts that you don't.

Not getting alerts when someone tags you (assuming you have that feature turned on, which I assume you do) is a different matter. I think you should get those alerts whether your new-post alerts for that thread are in deferral or not.