Airtight Connection between a Sensor and Arduino

Natalie Mueller

Joined Jan 31, 2018
Hello guys:)
I am looking for electrical connectors and would need help to find the correct one for my project.
For my project, I am searching to have some kind of airtight connection between a sensor and Arduino board.
The sensor will be placed in an acrylic box, which will be pressurized (low pressure changes). The arduino will be outside the box. The sensor needs three connecting cables to the Arduino. It would be great if this connector would have some kind of external thread so I could place that easily into one of my sheets using a tap.
Maybe you have a great idea:) FYI at this point I would prefer a cable connection, instead of a wireless one.

Thanks so much for your help

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Hello guys:)
I am looking for electrical connectors and would need help to find the correct one for my project.
For my project, I am searching to have some kind of airtight connection between a sensor and Arduino board.
The sensor will be placed in an acrylic box, which will be pressurized (low pressure changes). The arduino will be outside the box. The sensor needs three connecting cables to the Arduino. It would be great if this connector would have some kind of external thread so I could place that easily into one of my sheets using a tap.
Maybe you have a great idea:) FYI at this point I would prefer a cable connection, instead of a wireless one.

Thanks so much for your help
I'm sure there will be much better ideas from others, but the first thing that comes to mind is taking a liquid tight conduit fitting, which already has threads and clamping capabilities, and running wires through it with a while lot of caulk, epoxy, potting compound, or something similar filling the empty space.

How air tight does it need to be... I wonder if the space within each insulated wire, between the strands of copper and the insulation, is a threat.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Pave Technology Company comes to mind but there are dozens of similar companies making connectors which will function under various vacuum and pressure conditions. Low pressure would be what? 10 PSI more or less? Would you like the engineering units in PSI or maybe BAR?

Using a compression fitting you could likely roll your own using RTV or similar.There are various feedthrough and bulkhead designs out there so it really depends on exactly what you want.

Ron