air conditioning

eec_16_99

Joined Jul 20, 2005
I am wondering if a window air conditioner can be operated in a closed room without being mounted in a window. My window is made of block glass and I don't want to cut a hole in my wall.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
It could indeed operate... but to no avail. It would blow hot air out one side and cold air out the other. The average temperature in the room would increase slightly due to waste-heat from the fan motor.

There needs to be some way of venting the hot air outside in order for the thing to be useful.

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
Originally posted by eec_16_99@Jul 20 2005, 08:19 PM
I am wondering if a window air conditioner can be operated in a closed room without being mounted in a window. My window is made of block glass and I don't want to cut a hole in my wall.
[post=9209]Quoted post[/post]​
Sorry, but your AC wont work unless part of it is outdoors. The freon in the evaporator (indoor coil) absorbs heat from the air passing over it, as that air is pushed along by the blower fan. The freon then goes to the condensor (outdoor coil) and releases the heat to the outside air, again with the help of a fan. If you try to run the window AC in a closed room, yes, cold air will flow out of the unit. But since you're discharging the heat into the same room, the over all temperature of the room will not go down.