Advice needed on Laser engraver project

Which motor would you use?

• Servo

• Stepper

Results are only viewable after voting.

svarrio

Joined Oct 31, 2017
Hi guys,

I want to build a Laser engraver that works using a sort of galvo system instead of the traditionally used linear actuators. Galvo systems are used in laser scanners to position the the laser point at high speeds (30.000 points per second) and high accuracy. Galvo systems start at 90$ on aliexpress but I find this a little to expensive for a proof of concept project. Additionally, the high speed characteristic of the galvo systems is not required for a laser engraver.

I would like to build a system which works similarly to a laser scanner but will be cheaper due to the compromise in the high speed characteristics. After some research of my own if come to 2 possible solutions (correct me if there are more/better ones). The first is to use stepper motors and the second is to use servo motors. I'm not sure which one will be the better and how good the result will then be. Gear boxes could be used to increase accuracy of the solution.

What are your opinions on the setup/project?

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
In general stepper motors are easier to use. The trade-off is that they are usually slower than a servo motor.

Adding gearing will give smaller step size with a stepper motor but the gears will probably decrease your absolute accuracy.

The problem with either a stepper or servo is mechanical resonances. The stepper can actually lose steps or even stall at too high a step rate or when a mechanical resonance is encountered.