Advice for new rework solder station

TheNoof

Joined Jun 29, 2014
I am looking into buying new solder rework stations. Currently we use the Pace MBT350. I am not happy with this station. I have used the Weller WR3000M station for about a week while doing some training. I thought it was pretty nice. But I have seen some mixed reviews on it. What about Hakko, JCB, Metcal… Any suggestions, or advice?

Thanks,

Brad

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
What specifically don't you like about the Pace? Thats very important to allow someone to suggest others..

What type of desoldering do you do/need to do?
Vacuum sucker? Tweezers? Iron? BGA? ICs?
Mostly SMT or through hole work?
,etc...

The more details you give on YOUR needs the better the suggestions can be that relate to you and not someone elses needs/preferences..

TheNoof

Joined Jun 29, 2014
Both through hole and SMT. Need vacuum, tweezers, hot air. ICs, BGA. The Pace will not stay at set temp, takes forever to heat up, display is hard to see. irons stay on when not in use and then the unit locks up. have to cycle power. Tips are a pain to change. Tips suck.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
The Weller station is very good, my ex business partner who now runs my repair facility has 3 three 240 volt versions and not had any problems at all with them. Although expensive, if you shop around, they are available at around half list price from some suppliers, but they are often out of stock.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Based on my limited experience, get a hot air station with a fan, as opposed to a piston pump. The air flow is smoother and more consistent, and it's easier to not blow your parts off the board when working with smaller parts.