Adjustable pulsing switch

therooke

Joined Oct 6, 2020
Hello everyone. I did not know what section to post this in. Hope it’s ok here. Or perhaps a mod can move it for me
I’m looking to make a spirit box for a friends birthday. It’s mostly a gag gift. But I still know he’ll love it. The part I need help with is making a momentary switch that constantly turns on (pulses) and I’d like to be able to adjust the frequency it pulses at too. I’ll be using a 3v radio but if I need a secondary power cct for the switch (5V?) that’s fine. It would be nice I’d the frequency could range from 1 ish to 60 or more hrtz
It’s been years since I played with electronics and I was thinking of using 555 timer ect, but got lost in my own head.
Could anybody help out with a schematic for me please? Hope this isn’t to much to ask for.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You will need to come up with a pulse width for the pulses and a pulse repetition time for the pulses. An example would be a windshield wiper delay circuit where a single quick pulse is used to start a cycle of the wipers, then nothing for a period of time till another short pulse width pulse comes along. A Google of "555 wiper delay circuits" may get you a few examples of using a 555. This will get you a short duration (pulse width) pulse and a variable pulse repetition time. That what you want?

Ron

therooke

Joined Oct 6, 2020
Thanks for the quick response. I looked into the info you suggested. It seams close to what I’m looking for but it was late so I’ll need to look a little deeper. I also stumbled across oscillating ccts and it looks more of what I’m after. But again I’m new at this Would this image not be what I described? T2 would Be the variable I’d like to lengthen or shorten I think? Haha140EBED0-C6E9-47F4-9FC1-7712FC80554D.gif

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Yes, which would show up in what I linked. You just still need to fill in what is reflected as t1 & t2. The timing you want will make things go easier?

Ron