Adding a reset switch to this counter circuit, which is better?

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Hi,
I have some similar counter circuit to the one below, I'm trying to add a reset switch. At the beginning I thought that a simple switch that disconnects power source should work and reset counting.
Cape.JPG

Later, I came across the circuit below and noticed that they have the reset switch set up through pin R or 15 tied to Gnd through a 1Kresistor!!
Capture.JPG

The question is, which setup for the reset switch will help more in clearing the counter's memory?

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Don't cycle power. Use the reset. That's why it's there.
Thanks WBahn. So, if I'm using two decoders, can I setup my Reset switch for both decoders just like in the image below, or it is enough to have the switch on the first main Decoder U1?
wq.JPG

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Have a look at the first circuit and then see how the second one is quite wrong. Try to redraw it with the correct connections. We could tell you what to do but it is better if you figure it out.

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Have a look at the first circuit and then see how the second one is quite wrong. Try to redraw it with the correct connections. We could tell you what to do but it is better if you figure it out.
Hi dendad,
Like this you mean :) :
wq.JPG

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Disconnecting the power won't reliably work, since the counters likely will come up in a random state when powered off and on, not in an all zeros state.

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Disconnecting the power won't reliably work, since the counters likely will come up in a random state when powered off and on, not in an all zeros state.
That looks better :)
Thanks for the clarification crustchow, that's an important info that I was wondering about! Cool! I just built the real physical circuit with the reset switch based on my last updated circuit shown above but the whole circuit didn't work! Not sure why! Though it was working before by only grounding pin 13 and 15 together to Gnd! Any thoughts!

PS: Ignore above note, it works, again wrong breadboard connections :D . Thank you guys all!

Last edited: