Adding a PWM to welder wire feed roller

nick9one1

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Hi!

I have a SIP migmate welder which are renowned for having poor wire feed control. For anyone that doesn't know, when you pull the trigger on a MIG welder, a motor should feed wire based on the speed set by a pot.
I'd like to improve mine.

A few people have replaced the DC power supply to the motor with good results. but I'd like to go one further and replace the power supply and add a PWM.
Compared to what I can see on this forum, my knowledge of circuitry is low, so I'd like to get some feedback on my proposed change to the circuit.
Does the modification look OK?

Thanks!

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Does the added mains-to-DC device provide mains isolation? If not, the circuit could be LETHAL.
If it were me, I'd omit that device and take the PWM supply off the transformer secondary, at CN5.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Most MIG machines already use PWM to control the wire feed. The usual problem for erratic wire feeding problems, is either the feed rolls themselves or the torch liner. Over time the torch liner gets grit and or copper from the filler wire built up in it. Every so often I have to pull the liner from my machine (MillerMatic 135) and soak it over night in kerosene. Then blow it out with an air hose. The kero both cleans and lubricates the liner.

nick9one1

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Thanks for the replies.

Does the added mains-to-DC device provide mains isolation? If not, the circuit could be LETHAL.
If it were me, I'd omit that device and take the PWM supply off the transformer secondary, at CN5.
Yes the additional power supply is is isolated, its a laptop 19.5v switched mode power supply I have spare.
I'm using a second power supply as other users of the SIP migmate have connected a replacement supply for the wire feed control and have had massive improvements. They haven't gone as far as adding PWM, but as I can get one for less than a fiver, it seems worthwhile.

I've attached another picture of a modification someone else made.

Most MIG machines already use PWM to control the wire feed. The usual problem for erratic wire feeding problems, is either the feed rolls themselves or the torch liner. Over time the torch liner gets grit and or copper from the filler wire built up in it. Every so often I have to pull the liner from my machine (MillerMatic 135) and soak it over night in kerosene. Then blow it out with an air hose. The kero both cleans and lubricates the liner.
Unfortunately not the SIP migmate. Like I said I'm not an electronics engineer, but from what I can see it isnt PWM circuit.
I've already replaced the main liner, gooseneck liner, and rollers. From all I've read about this welder, the wire feed circuit is the culprit.

Attachments