Add a wifi enable switch to an existing hardware circuitry.

Gman61

Joined Oct 21, 2023
I need some help to locate and install a wifi switch that can be added to an existing electronic circuit before the power switch on a DC to AC power inverter I use as a means to power my backup sump pump in my basement.
There is a toggle switch on the inverter that powers the unit on but since I don't need it on all of the time I would like to be able to turn it off and on remotely if needed.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Do you currently have anything wireless? A Google of Wireless Relay Board will bring up several possibilities like this one. There are plenty of other wireless solutions including a simple relay board and a key fob. Really numerous possibilities.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Controlling a power inverter may be more than a simple switch in the power lead. BUT if the switch is controlling the main supply feed, that will be quite a few amps and the average wifi control module will not be able to handle that current.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The safest way to do this would be to rig a mechanical actuator to the existing switch.

A push-pull solenoid and a pair of one-shots, with a DPDT relay connected to the remote switch would isolate any of your additions from current carrying.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
To decide on what the best approach will be requires that we know just what the switch is switching. THAT will require more information.
SOME inverters include a remote control option with a plug in connection. My cheaper inverters do not include that option, because my application would have no use for it at all.