Adapt wireless doorbell to a wired one

ViXoZuDo

Joined Jul 6, 2016
Well, right now, I have a wired doorbell in my house (1st floor), but the problem is that in my 2nd floor, most of the times you can barely hear it. I don't want to wire it to 2nd floor, so I was thinking about a wireless system.

I was looking online and I came up with the idea of buying a wireless doorbell that use a 12V battery and "short circuit" the bell push so it's always in the "ON" position. Adapt a 220V to 12V transformer to my already installed wired doorbell so it power the wireless switch and because it's always in the ON position, as soon as there is current to the wired one, the wireless switch will trigger and activate the wireless receiver in the 2nd floor.

Here is the thing, I'm not an expert in electronics, so I don't know if this gonna work or I'll end up burning the wireless transmitter (push switch).

So, tell me if this gonna work or I should do something else.

PS: Diagram attached

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Some difficulty with the diagram. The transformer is labeled "DC220V to AC12V".
There is no such thing as a DC transformer.
The "wired bell push" seems to be providing 220V to "220V wired door bell".

Let's start with a different drawing and see if we can get some ideas working.

Attachments

ViXoZuDo

Joined Jul 6, 2016
Ops, sorry, it's a AC 220v to DC 12v.

Also, the Wired one is 220v. I don't know if internally have any kind of transformer.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Ops, sorry, it's a AC 220v to DC 12v.

Also, the Wired one is 220v. I don't know if internally have any kind of transformer.
I think you can bet it has a transformer. There is no legal (or safe) way to put 220V on a door bell button.
Go investigate.

ViXoZuDo

Joined Jul 6, 2016
I think you can bet it has a transformer. There is no legal (or safe) way to put 220V on a door bell button.
Go investigate.
I don't know about other countries, but here it's pretty common to have 220v direct to the door bell button and it's legal. It's like having a light switch. There is not much science behind it.

It's something like this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item//32352979999.html

You have current, it sounds...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't know about other countries,
And we don't know about your country because you haven't told which one it is.

Wait. I'm beginning to understand. The bell is wired directly to 220VAC with unlimited power. That is very illegal in many countries.

ViXoZuDo

Joined Jul 6, 2016
Yep, 220VAC in the door bell button. My house was constructed from 0 and I know where is all the wiring.

ViXoZuDo

Joined Jul 6, 2016
So I should use a 12v relay and forget about powering direct the wireless button? There is something else?

and thanks in advance :)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
So I should use a 12v relay and forget about powering direct the wireless button? There is something else?

and thanks in advance :)
It seems to me that the wireless door bell wants a push button. The relay will accomplish that function with a minimum of complications.
If the wireless door bell wants 220VAC and you try to control that with a push button, the wireless door bell will only be powered for less than 1 second. Better to give it all the 220VAC power it wants and just add a fake push button.

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
It seems to me that the wireless door bell wants a push button. The relay will accomplish that function with a minimum of complications.
If the wireless door bell wants 220VAC and you try to control that with a push button, the wireless door bell will only be powered for less than 1 second. Better to give it all the 220VAC power it wants and just add a fake push button.
Yeah this was what I was writing lol. Use a relay on the mains doorbell switch line to control the wireless switch. Just hack into something like this and use the relay for the switch. Add 3VDC (or whatever voltage) used from mains or use batteries at your discretion for the wireless transmitter.

Cordless /Wireless Plug In /AC Main Socket Door bell/ 16 Melody Chime 80m Range

ViXoZuDo

Joined Jul 6, 2016
Actually, the wireless door bell button I find use a 12V battery. It's not wired anywhere. Anyway, the idea of constant current and a relay seems a better idea.

Thanks. I'll update with the results. (In a month or so because It's cheaper to import form china the electronics I need).