Actual or pre-recorded music?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
But, just imagine how boring a car chase scene would be without squealing tires, even though they're on a DIRT road. :rolleyes:
Speaking of boring, I'm currently recording an ANTH101 Proffessor. Three 1 hour sections of it.

Luckily, I'm halfway through the 2 section. Thank god for AAC and ETO.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
But, just imagine how boring a car chase scene would be without squealing tires, even though they're on a DIRT road. :rolleyes:
The one I love is when a car is chasing a person who is staying ahead of the car as the car's engine is revving up to the point of exploding.

So, let's see. How fast can the fastest human run? The world record is well under 30mph. But these cars are never chasing world class athletes. As near as I can tell, a "typical" human can seldom run much faster than 15mph. When you consider that, if sustained, that would be a 4 minute mile, that seems pretty reasonable.

So how long would it take a typical bad guy in a car to run down someone that can't get over 15mph. Answer: Not long.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
In "Bullet" (Steve McQueen) I think the Mustang had about 7 hubcaps.:p
Two stroke dirt bikes sound like Harleys...because the audience expects that:confused:

I'm better off watching Harry Potter. At least he has an excuse...it's magic.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Yes, but song writer/artists like Nelson and Young are usually forgiven for having poor voices. Performing 'heads' with no creative talent like most of the recent string of boy bands and solo female performers are not given that break.

Some current performers definately have artistic talent (e.g. Katie Perry and Lady Gaga) as they with their own 'shows' - lyrics, music, choreography, costumes, sets, ...

As said above, the amount of choreography in a modern show means the singer would be out of breath most of the show and the signing would not be anywhere close to the iTunes version.

A Woodstock-type event would never work again because few performers are Creative artists and and any performance with a Janis Joplin style cracking voice and out-of-breath signing style would be booed off the stage. Especially by the people of appropriate age to sit out in a cornfield for several days without enough food vendors and toilets like Woodstock.
Speaking of live performances not being up to snuff.... Neil Young and the others in Crosby, stills, nash and Young sang close harmony which sounded absolutely gruesome live. The Woodstock recordings are cringe worthy.

Beach Boys had the same problem: can't get the harmony right live.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Yes, but song writer/artists like Nelson and Young are usually forgiven for having poor voices. Performing 'heads' with no creative talent like most of the recent string of boy bands and solo female performers are not given that break.
True enough, but Neil Young should be prevented from playing the guitar by Federal law if necessary. Listening to his "guitar solos" is like listening to a monkey beat on a piano.

Funny about Dylan, he was booed off the stage the first time he tried to perform with an electric guitar. He was so devastated he was going to leave but his manager made him go back on. The Fender Stratocaster he played that night was left on the airplane Peter, paul and mary were using that Dylan caught a ride on. Dylan left the guitar behind and the owners of the flight service sent him registered letters to pick it up and he never did. The guitar was definitively identified by the wood grain on it from photos taken at the performance.... and valued at $500,000!

http://folkmusic.about.com/od/bobdylan/a/Bob-Dylan-Goes-Electric.htm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-electric-guitar-found-in-new-jersey-20120711

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...es-settled-dylans-guitar-may-sell-for-500-000

Holy crap, what a find......

The guitar case contained some paper with writing in Dylan's hand of lyrics of songs later recorded. The piece of paper was valued at $50,000....

Last edited:

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
... With fans paying up to $140/ ticket...do they know that the sounds they were hearing were not live music? Isn't it virtually impossible for musicians to always be at the top of their game for a one night stand? Comments anyone?

A regularly performing professional musician usually can perform close to the top of their game. The musician "knows" the song, and just plays it. It's like walking down the street, you don't have to think about putting each foot in front of the other, you do it without thinking too much, it's more feeling.

Playing music live for a pro (without sheet music) is like that. You don't have to think about what note comes next, you hear the song in your head, the arrangement, the song as a whole, and just play.

Certainly live performance is not perfect. But for me, I don't go to a concert to hear an exact copy of the recording. I don't mind if harmonies aren't perfect. That's the joy of live music for me. It's real.

I would not want to hear a live version of canned, over-produced, cookie-cutter music.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The musician "knows" the song, and just plays it. It's like walking down the street, you don't have to think about putting each foot in front of the other
Confirm. One day I was leaving a barbecue, playing, "One Toke Over the Line" (Brewer and Shipley) when a woman came in the door I was using to leave and she started babbling about how great I was. I was just doing the riff from muscle memory, not even thinking about it. I felt about as amazed at her behavior as she was about mine.:eek:

I'm thinking, "Oh..so this is how it works. You play the same song until it's boring and the crowd goes crazy.":D

Then I went home...alone. (I don't do groupies.)

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
True enough, but Neil Young should be prevented from playing the guitar by Federal law if necessary.
People like John Peter Petrucci, make it look so easy that you think it's recorded. I really don't care for it, it's impressive, but it get's boring. When perfect is to perfect.

I like the real, I guess that's why the Doors, The Beatles, Janice Joplin, or other rustic bands would not cut it in today's music industry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Petrucci

Just like other fakes out their. I once was told about the Diamond I purchased from a lady friend, who owned a Jewelry Store. It was a full Carat with 8 descending ruby's and smaller diamonds. The diamond was a Marquise, with one flaw.

She knew something I didn't, she said the market will be flooded in the future with fake diamonds, you won't know a real one from the fake. But, this one flaw will prove this as a real diamond. I paid $3,000 30 plus years ago, it was appraised at $13,000

I guess Bob was the real thing. He increased in value.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
People like John Peter Petrucci, make it look so easy that you think it's recorded. I really don't care for it, it's impressive, but it get's boring. When perfect is to perfect.
My point was that even Neil Young's studio recorded guitar playing is awful. I like his music, I really liked Buffalo Springfield and CSNY, it's just kind of awful to listen to him screw up playing a guitar even on his albums. No doubt Young had talent as a writer, he was in on some of the greatest music of my era (the 60's). Like I said, NY getting paid to play guitar and Willie nelson getting paid to sing are just baffling mysteries of the universe to me.....

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Confirm. I was just doing the riff from muscle memory, not even thinking about it.
I asked an old guitar teacher tell me, if you practice enough it will become second nature. He said, when you can play like a mindless fool, without thinking or looking at your instrument. You know your practice has paid off.

I wish my muscles were smarter:)

Speaking of truly intimidating guitar prowess, John Mayer's orchestral, and downright anthemic lead guitar break during a live performance of Eric Clapton's classic hit, "Crossroads", possibly performed off-the-cuff, will go down as one of rock history's defining moments, which was made all the more exceptional because Eric "God" Clapton happened to be on stage as well, beaming from ear to ear, as he sedately marked time on rythm.

To see what I am talking about, do a Youtube search of Mayer and Clapton playing "Crossroads", and prepare to have your doors blown clean off. While John Mayer may well have earned a reputation for being a bit of a jerk, anyone capable of holding his own in such spectacular fashion against "God", no less, has earned some serious bragging rights in my book.

Apologies for the minor digression.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
No one has mentioned so far the use of "fill in" musicians. Went to see the Eagles years ago, got standing room only tickets the day of the show. There were seats open "behind" the stage, actually beside the stage. While sitting there you could see people playing guitars and drums, below the stage riser, to make the Eagles sound like their enhanced overdubbed studio recordings.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
No one has mentioned so far the use of "fill in" musicians.
The first time I saw The Eagles I thought, "Oh, so that's how they sound so good. There are about 30 of them.":rolleyes:

@killivolt: My best advice is to practice the song correctly, no matter how ponderously slow that is. If you practice correctly, the speed will eventually arrive. If you practice playing badly, you will only accomplish being able to play badly, very fast.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
The first time I saw The Eagles I thought, "Oh, so that's how they sound so good. There are about 30 of them.":rolleyes:

@killivolt: My best advice is to practice the song correctly, no matter how ponderously slow that is. If you practice correctly, the speed will eventually arrive. If you practice playing badly, you will only accomplish being able to play badly, very fast.
Ya, I do that, I copied this one and I'm still practicing it. I did an MP4 and slowed it down keeping the Pitch, so I could get the lead. I already knew the Chords, I'm not a good lead player, my hands never worked like that even when I was a kid. I have to play it just a little slower than this guy does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bOmOtB06Do

The lead isn't for the faint of heart. I'm still having trouble with it. I'll give it another go here, sometime when things slow down over the winter.

Here is a new one I want to learn, they did a good cover of it. Wagon Wheel.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owP9lfDL6fo

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
"My best advice is to practice the song correctly, no matter how ponderously slow that is. If you practice correctly, the speed will eventually arrive."

Back when I was teaching Bass and Guitar, I'd have my students play a riff or chord changes; faster than normal speed.

If a change had 5-6 chord run, I'd break it down into 2-3 chord sections.

When they played along with the record, they learned their timing quickly.

Which made them very proud.:cool:

Today, the music business really sucks.:mad:

It's more for show, than skills.