Ace Hardware !

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
We got 1 for the city here. Its like they shut their doors and left one store in the country open. But Ace dropped the ball when it was time to man up and corp up. So Lowes and HD destroyed them. Like Walmart destroyed woolworths.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK..missing stuff includes...!!

Wait..

Tell me first...are these guys good.. can u rely on their quality?

U should know..it's in your country and you are the customers.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
For what it is worth I like Ace. They are definitely the underdog in the states though, but they keep on hanging in there.

As for what they sell, they don't make it. Like everyone else they are at the mercy of their suppliers.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
If they are expensive, then they should guarantee quality.

As for missing stuff are .......some chemicals like the ones I will need..
Small drill bits.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009

I bought one glove from Ace as I was making a cupboard tonight.
The Drill slipped. :eek:

U figure out the rest...My finger is intact. :D

Thank God I bought it ..still that area is still a bit numb.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If they are expensive, then they should guarantee quality.

As for missing stuff are .......some chemicals like the ones I will need..
Small drill bits.

I'm confused. Do you have an Ace hardware in your country??

As for drill bits, I am not sure if Ace would carry the really small ones. But they can be found online, ebay etc.

Harbor Freight has them too
http://www.harborfreight.com/22-piece-carbon-steel-tapered-drill-bit-and-countersink-set-7608.html

They have another set that is not showing on their website. I have a set I'll post a pic when I get a chance if you are interested.

I'll be happy to send them your way if you paypal me the $$$. Let me know if you are interested and I will stop by this week a pick up a set.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Quality depends on the product. For tools, I think ACE carries Stanley, which I would say is a medium quality tool, sufficient for casual use, but I wouldn't use them professionally. The quality is good for the intended end user. Always check out the manufacturer's warrenty. Decent quality products will have a decent warrenty.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Ace used to be my favorite place as a kid. They carried the HO racing cars and repair kits. In the winter that had all kind of HO train supplies.

We called the man that ran the place Mr. Ace (we always called anyone older than us Mr.). :)

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I'll tell you what I like about Ace Hardware. They have exotic small parts that Lowes and Home Depot don't carry, but my biggest kudos is (or are, if you prefer) for this: They hire OLD guys with lots of experience. When I go to Ace, I am usually in a mode where I am having to invent a solution, not just getting a toilet bowl float, or whatever. Their employess are very knowledgeable about what they stock, and they are helpful in suggesting solutions to uncommon problems.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I grew u and moved back to the original Levittown in NY. There is an ACE store here that I cannot remember not being here (though it did move once). Our house is about 65 years old now, and I can go to that Ace and still find replacement parts for the original plumbing fixtures used here. Mr Ace keeps those in stock for the locals.

Now a few mile down the road from there a CORPORATE ACE opened up 5 or so years ago. Last time in I noticed they put up a sign "Family Owned and Operated since 1985." Huh? They haven't been here for even half that time.

Corporate is closer and is a larger store, so they have the bigger selection, but I go to see Mr. Ace whenever I can.

(Both have mini drills. Check the Dremmel bins, and if nothing there they may have a small black drill index of tiny bits for under $10.)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I'd say it worked. I don't think it was meant to stop drillbits. There a good store. Some good stuff, some knock off cheapo stuff. Its the country hardware store here. In between Lowes/HD and walmart.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
I like Ace Hardware because they stock things that I want / need, such as a kit to repair electric lamps, Aladdin lamp parts (chimney, mantle, wick, wick trim tool), and machine screws and sheet metal screws in sizes that I can use.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Ace stocks a lot of stuff that the box stores don't,check out your

local ace hardware store,if they don't have in stock,they can get

it in a couple of days.