AC voltage for foam cutting tools

Poppa D

Joined Aug 30, 2020
Couple years ago built a table for cutting 2" thick 4'x8' foam boards to desired sizes for a project. Assembled a variable AC power supply that goes from 1.4 to 20 AC volts. About 6 months ago bought some foam cutting tools that came with a wallwart 7.5 DC volt 2500Ma that has stopped working. Can I use the AC power supply at 7.5 AC volts with these tools? When setting the AC supply the voltage ranges from 7.2 to 7.6 is this a problem?
Thanks, Poppa D

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You do not give the current rating of your variable AC power supply so we can't answer the question. If it is rated at more than 2.5 amps then I see no reason why it will not work.

Les.

Poppa D

Joined Aug 30, 2020
Pretty sure its more than 2.5 amps but if its not the tools won't be damaged, just won't heat up? Cut fine using 6" NiCad wire with really long connecting leads. Handle for tools has on/off switch and led indicator light can I expect the light to work or will it blow out?

Last edited:

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
If it will not damage the tools (Unless you set the output voltage too high.) but if it is rated at less than 2.5 amps the power supply may be damaged.

Les.

Martin_R

Joined Aug 28, 2019
Good chance the LEDs life will be shortened. Consider connecting a diode (1N4001 for example) in series with the LED to protect it. I assume that theres also a series resistor to limit current to 20mA.