AC TV on stand by mode increase unit consumption. Please give me fix for ac

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
Hi, Please see the attached file jpg. It is todays news in Times of India.
If stand by mode increases the power consumption, if the main switch is not in off position, then what is the fix for AC main switch.
Normally, Tv switch is at a available height so that you could switch off when you do not see the tv.
But , Air conditioner main socket is on the upper part of the side floor and each time you switch off the AC, but a/c is on standby mode consuming electricity consumption.
Is there any easy way of switching off AC also, so that consumption of electricity could be reduced on stand by mode.
Expecting a easy of switching off AC main switchstand by power.jpg

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
First, the limit on standby power consumption is now 0.5W, and as most appliances are made for a global market, even if India doesn’t have that regulation the appliances will probably comply.
Secondly, although I don’t remember every detail of my trip to Mumbai, doesn’t India have switched mains sockets?

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Get yourself a watt meter then calculate how much you are paying for devices on standby. In my country, the cost for power is $0.07 kW/h CAD. It is hard for me to justify buying anything to reduce standby consumption. I might as well just unplug everything which would increase lifetime anyway.

There is a lot of conspiracy theories regarding standby. My brother-in-law is a big believer that the government (or whoever) uses "vampire lights" (status LEDs etc.) to suck extra money from the middle class. If you do the math, you might agree the whole idea is quite silly.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
One thing to watch: Most appliances will have 100nF across live and neutral. That will give a power “consumption” of 1.6VA with zero power factor, for which you will not (in most countries) be charged because most countries only charge domestic customers for real power, regardless of power factor.

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
Different replies given and thank you all.
IanO informed about applainces having a power consumption of 1.6Va with zero power factor. Quite interesting.
Moreover, the a/c main switch is a kind of trip switch and not ordinary switch box switch, which you have to plug off on each use of air condition when the ac is not in use to avoid this power consumption.
Normally you switch off the ac thro the remote and just switch on the next day.
We usually switch off the main switch once the summer season ends, is that correct.
If such switch is fitted like normal switchbox switches, then you could just plug off or power off the switch

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
In trying to have a switch like thing , I read so many articles and there are so many answers including in quora.com, and I think that so many calculations have to be made before buying ac swith boxes with switches.
In my case, I have a 2.0 ton voltas inverter ac, for more than 6 years of use.
I do not think that the switch is not like a normal switch that we use for other appliances.
But I do wish to write that the study results are true, and not exaggerated as somebody points out.
But the article do not include special things such a s
Most appliances will have 100nF across live and neutral. That will give a power “consumption” of 1.6VA with zero power factor,
That is quite interesting bit of learning.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
My guess is that the energy used in leaving it on standby for half the year would be less than the energy that would be wasted if you forgot to clean the air filter.
2 tons of airconditioning is 7kW. With a COP of about 3, it should use about 2.3kW of electricity - less than 10A

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
You could do some basic (and free) calculations by reading your electrical meter several times a day with your devices on and during standby. I would expect odd results due to things like the refrigerator cycling on and off automatically. Over time you should be able to come up with reasonable figures.

Unless you really need to save on money, I wouldn't worry about it. I unplug everything I'm not using as a safety precaution.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I recently got a kill-a-watt clone and found that my cable boxes are taking 20W of real power when in standby and 23 when operating. Unplugging them is not really an option because they take about 10 minutes to reboot when power is supplied.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The article made me suspect that the $12.66US per year of Vampire Power Loss is a lot of money in India.
Google says there is no minimum wage there but says $2.40US per day which is 1/50th the minimum wage here. Then $12.66 x 50= $633 per year which is still not much here.

My set top box has been turned off since yesterday and its is wasting about 5W since it is warm, and its AC/DC adapter is also warm wasting another 1W.

The remote control receivers on all my things do not contain any vacuum tooobs so they waste only a small amount of power when on stand by.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
I recently got a kill-a-watt clone and found that my cable boxes are taking 20W of real power when in standby and 23 when operating. Unplugging them is not really an option because they take about 10 minutes to reboot when power is supplied.
Is your device really on standby or do you have it doing work such as recording shows when they come on? 20W is surprising for a device supposedly not doing anything other than waiting for the user to click the remote!

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Even when it is "off", my cable box shows a video of its name with a swirling colorful background. It continues updating its schedule of shows and channels. It remains booted.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Hi, Please see the attached file jpg. It is todays news in Times of India.
If stand by mode increases the power consumption, if the main switch is not in off position, then what is the fix for AC main switch.
Normally, Tv switch is at a available height so that you could switch off when you do not see the tv.
But , Air conditioner main socket is on the upper part of the side floor and each time you switch off the AC, but a/c is on standby mode consuming electricity consumption.
Is there any easy way of switching off AC also, so that consumption of electricity could be reduced on stand by mode.
Expecting a easy of switching off AC main switchView attachment 270387
Ask the paper correspondent to give the details of the ".....Action Group(s)"s Survey.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Is your device really on standby or do you have it doing work such as recording shows when they come on? 20W is surprising for a device supposedly not doing anything other than waiting for the user to click the remote!
It is indeed waiting to record a show, but 20W for that seems outrageous to me when it only uses 23 when fully active.

Bob

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
It is indeed waiting to record a show, but 20W for that seems outrageous to me when it only uses 23 when fully active.

Bob
Yes that ratio is surprising. Not sure I would say its on standby. When I think of standby, I'm thinking of input sensors waiting for the user to initiate some work eg. an IR detector. I would hope the standby current of my washing machine or dish washer (indicating complete cycle) would be almost nil as the circuitry is likely simple compared to a cable box. That being said, I'm going to run some numbers on my devices. There may be some tears to come:p

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There is a simple way to stop the tv from using any power at all when it is switched off. Easy to implement and it requires no modification of the TV at all.
Get a plug strip that has a power switch, plug the TV into the power strip, then plug in the power strip to where the tV was plugged in. Now when the plug strip is switched OFF, there is NO power consumed by the TV. Then switch on the plug strip and all is as it was. Simple and very effective.