AC TV on stand by mode increase unit consumption. Please give me fix for ac

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Yes that ratio is surprising. Not sure I would say its on standby. When I think of standby, I'm thinking of input sensors waiting for the user to initiate some work eg. an IR detector. I would hope the standby current of my washing machine or dish washer (indicating complete cycle) would be almost nil as the circuitry is likely simple compared to a cable box. That being said, I'm going to run some numbers on my devices. There may be some tears to come:p
Assuming that the electronics runs off a 5V supply, then that's 5V @ 4A. Probably 3A, if the switched mode supply is only 75% efficient. Seems like an awful lot to me! What else does it do? Did you leave the "room heater" function enabled?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It will be a bit more effort to do the same thing for an air conditioner. Most plug-strips are not able to handle that much current. such arrangements are still quite possible and simple to create with commonly available parts. and you will nee to build it because such a system is seldom sold.
so now the big questions: first, are you able to properly install a plug on a cord? I ask this because some folks are not able to do that. second question: Is there a nearby seller of electrical wiring products, including the boxes, switches, cord grips, outlets, and cover plates?
The assembly you would make will be a switched outlet box that will allow switching off the mains power to the air conditioner.
But how much power does the air conditioner actually consume when it is in a standby mode? is there a fan or blower running? Or is it just the temperature display and the control circuits? Those do consume a bit of power but not much.

That article referenced is clearly the work of a tabloid writer whose technical knowledge is probably far less than most cattle.

One more thing to understand: Standby is Much DIFFERENT from OFF. Standby is a marketing thing to provide an instant on function of whatever the device is. On your car with an engine, standby is having the engine running with the transmission in "park", ready to go by shifting to drive.
so the whole concept of standby instead of off is a marketing thing supported by impatient people with more money than sense.

Last edited:

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
Hi, Mister Bill, thanks . There are so many shops that sells electricity parts around me.
But as you have said, that it depends on the uses that one uses the ac like fan, When in use, whatever we choose, it will run. But , stand by power is when the device is not in use but current is on for the device.
In my house, there is a provision to switch off the ac main, but the switch is not like a switch button, but like a trip switch, which is a kind of automatically trips when some spike or current surges takes place. It is not like a manual switch for other devices. I think that i have explained the points
please see this table for sbp for devices including air conditoner
https://standby.lbl.gov/data/summary-table/

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hi, Mister Bill, thanks . There are so many shops that sells electricity parts around me.
But as you have said, that it depends on the uses that one uses the ac like fan, When in use, whatever we choose, it will run. But , stand by power is when the device is not in use but current is on for the device.
In my house, there is a provision to switch off the ac main, but the switch is not like a switch button, but like a trip switch, which is a kind of automatically trips when some spike or current surges takes place. It is not like a manual switch for other devices. I think that i have explained the points
please see this table for sbp for devices including air conditoner
https://standby.lbl.gov/data/summary-table/
I see not one word of how those numbers were determined, nor any description of the testing process or conditions. And no hint about the sample size. some of the numbers are believable, some are not.
so I question the validity of that table of numbers. It looks like it was created by a reporter needing numbers for an article, but whose degree and experience are in creative writing.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
That list measured my kind of unit (digital cable VCR) at 46W! I guess mine are extra efficient at 20W. As to what it is doing, that is a mystery to me. It does not even put out a video signal. Maybe it is doing bitcoin mining.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
At least with the older cable boxes that I have dismantled, the on/off switch on the box switched an outlet on the back and changed the display to show time. On others it switched the channel display off. That was it. The power transformer was energized as long as it was plugged in.
On some stereo components the on/standby switch did inhibit the display and switch off the audio outputs. On some older electronic equipment the switch was OFF/Standby/On, with standby switching on all of the tube heaters.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
In post #22 I described the parts required to add an external switch for a window or wall mounted AC device. These parts cost would add up to about $29 (usd) at my local home improvement store. The cost in other parts of the world will be different. If there is an interest in building such an external switch box I can provide the details.
That external switch box will disconnect mains power assuring no power use at all when it id off.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Ask a electrician to rewire the AC circuit breaker lower down so that you can reach it.
I suggest NOT using the circuit breaker as a switch because it will wear out much sooner than a switch will. At least that has been my observation. Some brands of circuit breakers will be more durable than others, but mostly they are not intended to be used as regular switches.
An external switch assembly will also cost much less than having an electrician show up to do any work. Also it will not require any changing of the existing system, and it will be simple to move it the need arises.
Also note that assembling an external switch package is done with no power connected and so it is totally safe work.
One question about the AC unit and it's connection to the AC mains: Is the outlet at the wall a standard outlet, or is it a special high power rated outlet? And what current rating is the circuit breaker in the main panel? I am asking because in different parts of the world things are different. Also, in different parts of the world costs for electrical power vary widely.