AC Single Phase Induction Motor Current Rating

vpmaulit

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Hi All,

I am needing help understanding the current rating for AC single phase induction motors.

Link:
https://www.baymotorproducts.com/products/blowers/cross-flow-blowers/

I do not know much about AC but there is an assumption I am making toward these motors.
My assumption is that AC motors do not dictate how much current will be going through to the motors, which is opposite of their DC counterparts. Current going through to the motors is decided on the power source itself.

So I have a motor blower assembly (similar to top right picture within the link above) in which the motor is rated at .14A. What would happen if i replaced the same motor blower assembly but with a motor rated at .32A?

*From the website I believe that these motors are shaded pole motors*

Thanks for the input!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
My assumption is that AC motors do not dictate how much current will be going through to the motors, which is opposite of their DC counterparts.
Your assumption is incorrect. AC motor current depends on both the supply voltage and the motor's properties.

vpmaulit

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, so AC motors work just like DC motors (in terms of current ratings). The current that they are pulling are directly correlated with how the AC motor is built?

Examples Scenario - if i wanted to replace my 220V .14A AC motor with a 220V .32A AC motor; the main thing to check is if the current/amperage budget can handle the increase of.18A being drawn from the new motor?

Thanks,
Vijay

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I could explain voltage and current in a very memorable way as I heard it from a former Navy man, but would probably get banned from the forum.

Be that as it may, how much current is available to you is a matter of how much the wiriing at your location can handle, and how much the breaker-box is supplying to your outlet.

If your increase is just 0.18A.... I would say yes, because in the USA, a 220V circuit will generally handle at least 15A. Well above what you are saying you require.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Thanks for the replies, so AC motors work just like DC motors (in terms of current ratings). The current that they are pulling are directly correlated with how the AC motor is built?
The design principles are quite different but the load capability is the same in principle for motor size/current rating.
The blower motors in your link are generally simple shaded pole induction motors.
Max.

vpmaulit

Joined Feb 8, 2018
OK perfect, thanks for the confirmation about AC motor and DC motor current ratings! That is the conclusion that I needed.

Thank you All
Regards,
Vijay