AC Power supply for a strip heater?

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
Hello. I'm putting together a plastic bender, using a Vulcan strip heater which supposedly draws 150 A to output 1200˚ (@8"long). That amperage seems a bit low, but them's the specs. I'd like to use a variable controller with it for lower temperatures, as well as leave headroom for a longer, higher-power strip heater. If that's a reasonable hope, what should I look for, either brand and model, or just specifications?

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
What is the nature of the supply you are using for 150amp load?
Max.
That is what I'm looking for. A variac would do it, but I'm trying to find something smaller, if there is such a thing. The circuit would be mains-to- [undetermined controller]-to-strip heater-to-mains. If I'm completely off base, tell me that.

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
I know it can be done with a battery charger, but the power to the heater then is DC, and the adjustability is limited to one or two voltages. I have nothing against DC, but the heater is rated in AC, and I don't know how to refigure the amperage/temperature results.

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
You're right. It's watts. I had it wrong. That would make it a bit over one amp, cranking out 1200 degrees? Is that possible?

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
If it really is 150 watts, I guess a nice beefy dimmer could handle it, given that there are plenty of incandescent bulbs that draw more than an amp and a half. OK, I guess that's what I need to know. Thank you very much for helping me get that, and for pointing out my Amps-v-Watts confusion. I'll breadboard it first, with a fire extinguisher handy. Thanks again.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There is the ceiling fan variety which may do or there is the power tool version with is much higher rated, but I would think the former would work for you.
Max.

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
The mass will be low-about 8 inches by 1inch of 1/4"thick Polycarbonate. And it needs to be done slowly, of course, while I bathe the other side of the polycarbonate in heat from a plastic welder.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I'm buying things right now to do something similar. But instead of bending plastic I'm bending wood, to make the sides of a guitar. Instead of the strip heater I'll be using a silicone rubber heat blanket. To do flat plastic you can even use flood light bulbs to heat the plastic.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The mass will be low-about 8 inches by 1inch of 1/4"thick Polycarbonate. And it needs to be done slowly, of course, while I bathe the other side of the polycarbonate in heat from a plastic welder.
You can also bend polycabonate/lexan in a sheet metal bending brake, no heat involved.

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
You can also bend polycabonate/lexan in a sheet metal bending brake, no heat involved.
Ya know, I had totally forgot that. I have a bending brake, too. Well, I still want to have the strip heater running. But thanks-genuinely- for reminding me about the bending brake.