AC - AC Adaptor keeps blowing

BigAlanS

Joined Apr 23, 2021
I have a Broil King BBQ which has 3 under lid lights as well as 9 LED lights on the dials.
Now in the 4 years I have owned this £3,000 BBQ I have replaced 4 AC -AC Adaptors, all supplied by Broil King.

The adaptors they send all blow from inside out, and I have attached the images.
My thoughts are, lack of ventilation and they are packed with a black resin.

The original Adaptor supplied was 1600mA as were 2 replacements, but the latest one to fail was 1700mA

Unfortunately I do not have a working adapter to enable me to measure the current drawn, but I do remember taking the measurement last year and thought the 1700mA was too low.

Something sticks in my head that the current drawn was 2900mA, but I could be wrong.
Now I thought that I could go ‘belt and braces’ and just purchase a 5000mA (5A) 12v 60VA AC /AC Power Adaptor, but I've been told that it could damage my BBQ.

What I was actually told was 'The 5000ma adaptor you mention could damage your BBQ as AC output adaptors do not have a regulated output and the voltage supplied could rise when using it with a product that requires a lot less than 5000ma'

So I am a little bit stuck, Broil King (in Canada) have not answered my email enquiry to them.

I was looking at UK site which sells adaptors, but I am not so sure that they want to risk giving me technical advice.

I mentioned above the 5000mA adaptor, but they also have a 2500mA & 3000mA adaptors

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC!

An "AC-AC" adapter is probably just a transformer. The load will not draw any more current than it needs. As long as the voltage is correct you need at least the capacity required but more can't do any harm.

BigAlanS

Joined Apr 23, 2021
Welcome to AAC!

An "AC-AC" adapter is probably just a transformer. The load will not draw any more current than it needs. As long as the voltage is correct you need at least the capacity required but more can't do any harm.
Thank you, that is what I thought, it is only powering 9 LED's and 3 (what look like) G4 bulbs

BigAlanS

Joined Apr 23, 2021
It is in the same compartment as the gas cylinder on the left hand side, but that is where it is designed to be.

The pan is cast aluminum about 10mm thick, I do not think that there is a lot of heat there.Imperial-XLS-450x450.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The original Adaptor supplied was 1600mA as were 2 replacements, but the latest one to fail was 1700mA
Are these replacements under warranty?

Have you tried calling them? I checked the US website and they list a phone number.

Are all of the LEDs turned on when you notice the failures?

Having to plug in your BBQ for the LEDs must be pain in the a**. They should use a battery in conjunction with solar cells and a jack to charge the batteries with an adapter.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The photos look like thermal damage to me, and a higher-rated transformer should run cooler.

But ...

Very low cost transformers such as this use cheap steel. The zero-load-to-full-load output voltage easily can vary by more than 10%, sometimes approaching 20%. If you go with a larger transformer, try to scrounge a 10-12 ohm, 25 W resistor to test the output voltage before connecting to your grill. The resistor will get hot, so be careful and connect it for brief periods.

ak

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
What are the dimensions and weight of this adaptor (LxWxH)?
A transformer version would be bigger than a switch mode version and with the dimensions and weight maybe we could decide which type it is.

BigAlanS

Joined Apr 23, 2021
What are the dimensions and weight of this adaptor (LxWxH)?
A transformer version would be bigger than a switch mode version and with the dimensions and weight maybe we could decide which type it is.
The width and depth is 58mm the height is 60mm. it weighs 612g

BigAlanS

Joined Apr 23, 2021
Are these replacements under warranty?

Have you tried calling them? I checked the US website and they list a phone number.

Are all of the LEDs turned on when you notice the failures?

Having to plug in your BBQ for the LEDs must be pain in the a**. They should use a battery in conjunction with solar cells and a jack to charge the batteries with an adapter.
Hi Dennis, under warranty??? I purchased the BBQ in 2017 and the importr near Liverpool has sent me the replacements for fee, once a year.

But I can't see the point now in chasing them, they are only going to send me the same thing again.
There must be a fundamental fault with these adaptors, yet it doesn't seem BK and taking responsibility.

£3,000 for a BBQ, and it is let down by one component.

It was suggested that I didn't need the lights, but to me that's a bit like buying a convertible car, but you can't put the roof down.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
But I can't see the point now in chasing them, they are only going to send me the same thing again.
There must be a fundamental fault with these adaptors, yet it doesn't seem BK and taking responsibility.
A reputable company would deal with the problem if it was a design or specification flaw.

BigAlanS

Joined Apr 23, 2021
Question.

I have just found that the mains charger for my Paslode Nail Gun has an AC - AC Adaptor.
it is 12V DC 800mA 9.6VA

Now what does the 9.6VA mean?

I very quickly attached it to my BBQ and all the lights lit up.

Would this be good enough just to test to see what the lights are drawing using my multimeter?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have just found that the mains charger for my Paslode Nail Gun has an AC - AC Adaptor.
it is 12V DC 800mA 9.6VA
Generally, you can't substitute a DC adapter for AC. Similarly, substituting an adapter with half the power will usually be a no go.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Question.

it is 12V DC 800mA 9.6VA

Now what does the 9.6VA mean?

I very quickly attached it to my BBQ and all the lights lit up.

Would this be good enough just to test to see what the lights are drawing using my multimeter?
That is an AC-DC adapter. Not AC-AC. The grill's adapter doesn't rectify the power, it remains alternating current. Your Paslode operates on direct current (DC) and the two are not compatible.

BigAlanS

Joined Apr 23, 2021
Sorry, my mistake on what I have written above.

I wrote 'my Paslode Nail Gun has an AC - AC Adaptor. it is 12V DC 800mA 9.6VA

That should have been, it is '12V AC 800mA 9.6VA' the sign beside the 12V is a straight horizontal line with 3 dashes below, so AC not DC.