AC - AC Adaptor keeps blowing

BigAlanS

Joined Apr 23, 2021
Now I am totally confused. According to the adaptor that was supplied (black and white image), and re-supplied it is an AC/AC Adaptor.

The plaslode adaptor (second yellow image) is AC/DC, but it lit up the lights.

But if the lights are AC, am I correct in saying that this should not have happened?

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Now I am totally confused. According to the adaptor that was supplied (black and white image), and re-supplied it is an AC/AC Adaptor.

The plaslode adaptor (second yellow image) is AC/DC, but it lit up the lights.

But the paslode adaptor lit up all the lights.

But if the lights are AC, am I correct in saying that this should not have happened?
It can work if there is a bridge rectifier supplying the LEDs it will simply pass the DC. That's just luck, though. A different sort of supply would not have worked.

The filament lamps don't care about AC or DC, the LEDs do but as I said, if there is a bridge rectifier DC will just pass with the right polarity, so...

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
If the lights are LEDs, they only emit light when forward biased. If reverse biased sufficiently, the junctions will breakdown. Whether that will damage them depends on the voltage and current involved.

We generally think of AC adaptors as converting AC to DC. When an adapter says it's AC to AC, the input and output are AC and a transformer will typically be involved because generating a sinewave power output isn't easy.

BigAlanS

Joined Apr 23, 2021
If the lights are LEDs, they only emit light when forward biased. If reverse biased sufficiently, the junctions will breakdown. Whether that will damage them depends on the voltage and current involved.

We generally think of AC adaptors as converting AC to DC. When an adapter says it's AC to AC, the input and output are AC and a transformer will typically be involved because generating a sinewave power output isn't easy.
So it really needs to be an AC / AC adaptor similar to the one supplied.

This company sells this one, and others, and for £12.50 plus postage I don't mind having a go.
I'd really like to get the lights working so that I can measure what current they are drawing, and if necessary, buy another adaptor to suit.
2500ma 12v 30VA AC/AC (AC Output) Power Adaptor (poweradaptorsuk.co.uk)

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
So it really needs to be an AC / AC adaptor similar to the one supplied.
We can't say for certain without knowing how the LEDs are being driven.
This company sells this one, and others, and for £12.50 plus postage I don't mind having a go.
Make sure you get the correct connector size and polarity. In my area, 2.1mmx5.5mm female are most common. They're easy to confuse with 2.5mmx5.5mm if you're not used to sizing them by eye.

BigAlanS

Joined Apr 23, 2021
We can't say for certain without knowing how the LEDs are being driven.
Make sure you get the correct connector size and polarity. In my area, 2.1mmx5.5mm female are most common. They're easy to confuse with 2.5mmx5.5mm if you're not used to sizing them by eye.
I'll have to cut the connector off, the original adaptors have a a 'one way' plug on them, One terminal is round, the other square.

Attachments

BigAlanS

Joined Apr 23, 2021
I've just found a non-UK part number for this adaptor on a USA site. The picture shows the input being 120vAC @ 60Hz

More importantly, it shows the output at 12vAC 1600mA

So if I get a UK version with an input of 230v it should be the correct item for the job.

If I get one which is built to be well ventilated and not filled with a compound, and I also mount it further away from the heat source, hopefully this might cure the problem.

Attachments

BigAlanS

Joined Apr 23, 2021
Just another thing, when these adaptors were supplied, they all came with a 13 amp fuse in the plug top.

I changed it to either a 3 or 5 amp, I thought a 13 amp was too high.