About electrolytic capacitors - are all types of them change them value in time?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Check the spec/datasheet for any electrolytic, e.g. one of these, and you'll see one of the listed parameters is the life-time measured in hours at a given temperature.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
For example big electrolytic capacitors all of us have seen in computer power switch unit ,monitor boards or computer motherboard should be replaced and it`s some way to repair device x when replace some/all of them.
Is it that true about
https://mxcdn.macrofab.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/smd_cap.jpg
?

Or for smd capacitors?

Right now i am "having fun" with one notebook motherboard.

thanks

I've said this a few times on the forum, the life and reliability of a piece of electronic equipment is dependent on the number of electrolytic capacitors it contains!
In the 22 years I owned and ran an electronics service business, the ratio of capacitor failures to every other component failure would have been at least 10:1 And probably even greater.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
In the 22 years I owned and ran an electronics service business, the ratio of capacitor failures to every other component failure would have been at least 10:1 And probably even greater.
That's fascinating. I used to think that was crazy talk but after gaining some experience myself, I've come around. Rectifier bridges used to be about the only thing I knew to check, and that alone gave me some successful repairs. Now I look hard at the capacitors also. That got me a few more successes.

UnnamedUser159

Joined May 3, 2016
I am having questions, which is good i guess.

I red one very basic guide of testing capacitors.
It`s written if i measure with digital meter it should show some value and then go to infinity.
I can use this method with Powered off board and element on the board, right?
If i want to measure with cheap ESR meter to see if the capacity is with acceptable value what are the rules about the near elements? :)

:/