A Time Delay Circuit for beginner.

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Nepal has Mount Everest. AAC site has this "Can I figure this out project"?". Which is harder, climb Everest, or make this device?
Nice idea to prove your schematic simple by comparing it with Mt. Everest.
Mt. Everest= the highest altitude, risk of death, colder, less oxygen, vertical path
Your schematic= just hard to understand.
Maybe you cannot understand symbols of parts so you made a diagram of real parts which looks like a PCB layout component view artwork. :)

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
Nice idea to prove your schematic simple by comparing it with Mt. Everest.
Mt. Everest= the highest altitude, risk of death, colder, less oxygen, vertical path
Your schematic= just hard to understand.
Maybe you cannot understand symbols of parts so you made a diagram of real parts which looks like a PCB layout component view artwork. :)
OK, friends of AAC, new drawings. Don't faint.
No one would have fun trying to make sense of your schematic:(.

The important thing to take from the preceding comments is that it is essential to take the time to draw schematics clearly using conventional symbols and layout before presenting them to anyone else.
Ok, check out my new drawings. Please feel free to comment, especially if I made a mistake. I don't know if the LED is correct. It might be backwards. Plus don't know if U2 is correct now. Plus not sure people can understand this drawing. Jump right in. My Dad, my wife both told me everyday for 30 years that I can not do anything right, so I can take it. I am like a rock.

Attachments

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
Ok, friends of AAC, New question. How do you like the updated drawings of the "Time Delay Circuit"? Could you verify that the parts have the neg n positive on correct pins? Is the LED wired correct or do I need to reverse the A and C diode symbol? Is "U2" need to be reversed or change. I could not find the symbol for a voltage regulator, so I came up with a transistor symbol. I guess they are the same thing. D1 is a stockly diode. I did not spell that right. But does that have it's own symbol? AAC friends, please help me make sure parts have correct polarities. Not sure if that is correct language. Be kind please. Thanks, all have been funny and helpful. I now understand the importance of correct drawings and not scribbling.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
That's much clearer and I can immediately see there are errors with your circuit. Check it carefully and you will see them too.

You can't use a transistor symbol for a voltage regulator, they are not the same. Refer to the datasheet for the symbol.

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
Ok, friends of AAC, New question. How do you like the updated drawings of the "Time Delay Circuit"? Could you verify that the parts have the neg n positive on correct pins? Is the LED wired correct or do I need to reverse the A and C diode symbol? Is "U2" need to be reversed or change. I could not find the symbol for a voltage regulator, so I came up with a transistor symbol. I guess they are the same thing. D1 is a stockly diode. I did not spell that right. But does that have it's own symbol? AAC friends, please help me make sure parts have correct polarities. Not sure if that is correct language. Be kind please. Thanks, all have been funny and helpful. I now understand the importance of correct drawings and not scribbling.
tmp_16329-20160401_0058101985120898.jpg tmp_16329-20160401_0058101985120898.jpg

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
Ok, AAC good people. What do you think out my newest corrected drawings? Plus it now has a part list and shows the physcial electonic devices. But, did I correct all the mistakes? I'll tell you, this whole thing seem awful, but I myself, am learning a great deal. Takes alot of research on parts, but learning what they do much better. I do have a long way to go. So, please, if you are not frustrated working with another dummy, please continue with comments and corrections. I will get it right. This is my added wisdom. What you are doing on this site, helping others, with the knowledge that you have, sharing of yourself, that is true giving and not just throwing money at people. I think you must know this, or why bother being on this site?

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
Pin1 has no supply, pin 3 is output wrong, pin 4 reset wrong! so it wont work...
Could you help correct what is wrong. You told what is incorrect, but not how to correct it. I connected pin 1 to ground. I corrected U2. 3 is output. Trigger is connected to trigger on 555. Im lost at this point

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
No i learned by doing it right, looking at various circuit diagrams,studying datasheets, going to college, uni, making circuits, repairing them etc.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
s that how you learned?
It is commendable that you are trying to learn. On the flip side, it pays to build up your knowledge on solid basis. I would start with a basic book about the various components, and then look at the datasheet for the device you are trying to use, and experiment with your circuit in real life or in a simulator.

The issues your circuit exhibit are so basic and so numerous that I think people may find it more productive to point out a way for you to systemically learn first.

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
Could you help correct what is wrong. You told what is incorrect, but not how to correct it. I connected pin 1 to ground. I corrected U2. 3 is output. Trigger is connected to trigger on 555. Im lost at this point
dogeydave, I can visually see the connections and what gets connected to what on the working store bought pcb . So the circuits, what gets connected to what is correct. Identifying each electronic part was challenging since they are so little
No i learned by doing it right, looking at various circuit diagrams,studying datasheets, going to college, uni, making circuits, repairing them etc.
Other then the college part, I 'm doing exactly the same thing you did or are doing. This AAC site is my replacement of college professers. I but parts buy the hundreds of peices. I buy books from stores , download and read data sheets. Study them.
I was fixing , trouble shooting, controllers for machines when I was 16 years old. I replaced motors and controllers on air compressors, printing press'es. When I was 15 or 16 years old. Replaced contactors , starting relays, motor capacitors after trouble shooting to figure out why. I wired houses with my 15 year old brother when I was 14 years old. I was a licensed electrician when I was 13 14 15 16, 17 years old. Apprentice license but nevertheless I had a license. Then I moved on to a journeyman's license after being a Apprentice for 8 years. After my journeyman's license that I had for at least 5 years I then was able to get a masters electrician's license. Most of these parts we are looking at, I have worked with, relaced, repaired, installed but they were usually 120 or 240 or 480 volts ,single phase , 2 phase or 3 phase. Transformers were around 3,000 pounds. The point I am trying to make is, I have hands on training starting at 12 years old. These same parts are now all most invisible. They look nothing like a 8 foot tall DPST switch. This part is the part I am having promblems with. It's a whole new world to learn and understand at my age, ok? Be kind. Be helpful, be yourself. Thanks.

Last edited: