a small wire that changes shape with external magnetic field

James Kr Ma

Joined Dec 20, 2017
I have used Nitinol as a shape memory material for a small experiment that requires change of shape ( curved to straight or small to longer) to be controlled. These materials change shape due to external temperature variation. Now I am looking for some materials that will change shape with applied electric or magnetic field. Is there anything practically usable? Heard about magnetic memory alloys. Can anyone help me to point me a micrometer length wire to change its length or shape upon external field variation?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Magneto-strictive materials change dimension in response to applied magnetic fields, but the effect is small.
Piezo-electric materials change dimension in response to applied electric fields.
A heating coil wound around a Nitinol wire would respond to the coil current.

James Kr Ma

Joined Dec 20, 2017
Welcome to AAC!
Magneto-strictive materials change dimension in response to applied magnetic fields, but the effect is small.
Piezo-electric materials change dimension in response to applied electric fields.
A heating coil wound around a Nitinol wire would respond to the coil current.
Thanks a lot!
My material is of few micrometer length and looking for few bodylength change in length upon field activation.
As my medium is water will have to see how these fields can get in. Another issue with Nitinol is timedelay. As i want high frequency changes will see some other ways.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
No. Solenoid is a movable core inside a coil, you don't change the size of the coil but pull in the core. Maybe there is a mems equivalent of that.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I have used Nitinol as a shape memory material for a small experiment that requires change of shape ( curved to straight or small to longer) to be controlled. These materials change shape due to external temperature variation. Now I am looking for some materials that will change shape with applied electric or magnetic field. Is there anything practically usable? Heard about magnetic memory alloys. Can anyone help me to point me a micrometer length wire to change its length or shape upon external field variation?
Actually, a plain coil of wire will "want" to unwind with the application of current. (Lenz's Law). It's a subtle effect at small current levels, but certainly measurable.