a small wire that changes shape with external magnetic field

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by James Kr Ma, Dec 20, 2017.

1. James Kr Ma

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    I have used Nitinol as a shape memory material for a small experiment that requires change of shape ( curved to straight or small to longer) to be controlled. These materials change shape due to external temperature variation. Now I am looking for some materials that will change shape with applied electric or magnetic field. Is there anything practically usable? Heard about magnetic memory alloys. Can anyone help me to point me a micrometer length wire to change its length or shape upon external field variation?

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Welcome to AAC!
    Magneto-strictive materials change dimension in response to applied magnetic fields, but the effect is small.
    Piezo-electric materials change dimension in response to applied electric fields.
    A heating coil wound around a Nitinol wire would respond to the coil current.

3. James Kr Ma

Dec 20, 2017
    Thanks a lot!
    My material is of few micrometer length and looking for few bodylength change in length upon field activation.
    As my medium is water will have to see how these fields can get in. Another issue with Nitinol is timedelay. As i want high frequency changes will see some other ways.

4. kubeek

Expert

Sep 20, 2005
    I doubt you can get more than a few percent elongation from anything magnetostrictive or piezoelectric. How about a tiny MEMS solenoid?

James Kr Ma likes this.
  5. James Kr Ma

Dec 20, 2017
    Thanks for that. You mean i can change length of MEMS solenoid using current?

6. kubeek

Expert

Sep 20, 2005
    No. Solenoid is a movable core inside a coil, you don't change the size of the coil but pull in the core. Maybe there is a mems equivalent of that.

7. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    Actually, a plain coil of wire will "want" to unwind with the application of current. (Lenz's Law). It's a subtle effect at small current levels, but certainly measurable.

8. ElectricSpidey

Dec 2, 2017
    Look into what they use in reed relays.

9. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    Any iron wire will react to a magnetic field.

10. James Kr Ma

Dec 20, 2017
    Oh ok...i will search for that...thanks

11. James Kr Ma

Dec 20, 2017
    :) yes...you are right...I want to change length/shape/rotate the wire placed inside water through the applied magnetic field from outside..

12. kubeek

Expert

Sep 20, 2005
    Something like a magnetic stirrer?