A Powerful Picture

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
One thing that I don't quite get is why these shootings often involve multiple shots. I understand a cop being scared and it's hard to put yourself in their shoes. But unless I was being charged and in obvious risk, I like to imagine I'd wait a second after the first shot, to see if the threat situation has changed. How are they so sure they need to keep firing?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
One thing that I don't quite get is why these shootings often involve multiple shots. I understand a cop being scared and it's hard to put yourself in their shoes. But unless I was being charged and in obvious risk, I like to imagine I'd wait a second after the first shot, to see if the threat situation has changed. How are they so sure they need to keep firing?
Standard training, shoot until the threat has stopped. It's not shoot, see if they still are reaching for a gun, shoot again.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Do you think staying at home and keeping your mouth shut is going to cause any improvement?
You have every right to protest, you don't have a right to riot and obstruct public passage. The people in Dallas had a peaceful planned protest. Did you see the police there acting like thugs? No, because the protesters were not acting like thugs.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Why don't they wait until the justice system is finished doing its job, then ask for "justice" if they don't like the outcome?
Because "justice" doesn't happen. Look at these reports and count how many end up with, "paid vacation" or, "no fines, no jail time".
http://www.policemisconduct.net/
Also, saw on the news this morning, investigators are finding that the deceased man from Baton Rouge happened to be reaching for his pocket when he was shot.
https://photographyisnotacrime.com/...-alton-sterling-shooting-showing-no-gun-hand/

I caution you not to believe the spin doctors working for the Mass Media when there are videos which contradict them.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I agree, but you and tcmtech making this about sexualization is an insult.
The woman is doing a Ghandi thing. "If you want to bring SWAT teams and MRAPs to attack me for just standing here, let's take a picture and let the world see how you act."
He started it. :oops:

Fine. If you go and stand there like she is doing I promise to not find you 'Hot'. Okay? o_O

You still might be batsh!t crazy though. The jury's still out on that one and look who's talking! :D

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I agree, but you and tcmtech making this about sexualization is an insult.
The woman is doing a Ghandi thing. "If you want to bring SWAT teams and MRAPs to attack me for just standing here, let's take a picture and let the world see how you act."....
#12, there is a difference between "sweaty" and "HOT!" as in, you are a "sweaty old white guy that works on cars" and she is a "HOT! young black woman that could make me breakfast."

Capiche??

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Standard training, shoot until the threat has stopped.
Are you referring to the threat of handing over my Driver's License? Sleeping in a car? Being in a diabetic coma? Being immobilized (I mean "refusing to comply with commands") because I've already been shot twice?
All of these have happen in the last 2 or 3 years.
Personally, I'd be stopped by one bullet, even if you missed, or a really dirty look. Why they have to fire until their gun is empty is a mystery to me.
Fear for your life because you see a cell phone? or a "furtive move"? or a wallet?
All of these have happened in the last 2 or 3 years.

Something is very wrong with American police.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Are you referring to the threat of handing over my Driver's License? Sleeping in a car? Being in a diabetic coma? Being immobilized (I mean "refusing to comply with commands") because I've already been shot twice?
All of these have happen in the last 2 or 3 years.
Personally, I'd be stopped by one bullet, even if you missed, or a really dirty look. Why they have to fire until their gun is empty is a mystery to me.
Fear for your life because you see a cell phone? or a "furtive move"? or a wallet?
All of these have happened in the last 2 or 3 years.

Something is very wrong with American police.
I agree they have been trained to be trigger happy but as you say it's NOT because of race. It's because of legal cases were the police find it easier to defend a officer with a dead perp vs having a cripple on the stand. The second thing is most officers are really bad shots. They need 4+ shots to be effective.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
How bad is it?
The Bahamas issued a Travel Advisory against the U.S.A. about, "extrajudicial killings".
http://theantimedia.org/bahamas-warns-citizens-us-cops/

Egypt told the U.S. to go sit on it when told to stop killing their own citizens.
http://theantimedia.org/egypt-to-th...kill-our-own-people-when-your-own-cops-do-it/
The pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...s_the_risk_of_crime_in_the_united_states.html
For what it’s worth, the travel advisory goes both ways. The U.S. State Department rates the “criminal threat level” for the Bahamas’ New Providence Island as “critical,” noting that “[a]rmed robbery and sexual assault are major criminal threats facing U.S. citizens in New Providence.” If you want to compare the Bahamas’ overall murder rate with the chances a black man has of being killed by a police officer in the United States, the Caribbean nation looks even more dangerous.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Now that I can believe. I find it harder to believe that they "over"shoot because they are reflexively following their training. I sense that a lack of training is a factor in these awful events.
I've never been a cop and never want to but I did have an intermediate level of tactical gun training in the military. We were shown films of people shot several times that still managed to reach and attack the shooter, they don't even slow down. First the police don't know the person is hit as they pull the trigger and we were (and I assume police are) taught to fire at least three times (the usual burst setting on a full-auto weapon) before reassessing the threat. Unless you hit something major bullets often don't "take immediate effect."

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I can see that reasoning, and it's consistent with not shooting for any purpose other than to kill. You either don't shoot, or you're all in. Still, some of these tragedies seem less than professional.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009