A little help for a simple mosfet H-bridge problem

Optipook1

Joined Jul 25, 2017
Have you settled the question on post #8 ? To preclude 2 highs at the same time I used circuit at the bottom
with X OR 4070 & NAND 74AC00.View attachment 132829
Thanks for the answer! I will consider it for a future project I have in mind. And yes I have settle the questions on post 8. The outputs on the receiver are actually 3 low current H-bridges. So I used a 4n35 optocoupler(schematic below). the bjt h-bridge from the attachement is on the receiver.
Instead of LEDs, the output of the 4n35 goes to the H-Bridge. Just tested it and it works fine.
If both inputs are on from the receiver, both LEDs shut because there is + at both ends of the optocoupler IR diodes.
Mechanically it would be impossible because you would have to break the "joystick" to turn both on of a h-bridge.

Attachments

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I have never seen a plastic label put on an IC by Mfg. except for an UV eraseable memory chip. I see no problem other than loosing ID.

Optipook1

Joined Jul 25, 2017
Have you settled the question on post #8 ? To preclude 2 highs at the same time I used circuit at the bottom
with X OR 4070 & NAND 74AC00.View attachment 132829
I thought of using the 7486 X OR, but I'm a little concerned about applying 5v to supply and for inputs,
I read the max rating was 5.5V for the inputs,
Should I put low value resistors(1-10 Ohm) in front of the inputs or just use the 4070 IC instead?
I ended up using a couple of 2n3904 instead of a 7411 because the board was running out of space.

I'm asking because when I send more then 1 input I loose like 5feet of range or more, so I decided to wire it differently and send only one input.

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
1. What is your Brushed DC Motor's max current rating ?
2. Is it a 12V Motor ?
3. Why not use a H-Bridge IC instead of using Mosfets ?
4. Do you plan to use H-Bridge Driver with PWM input to control the speed of motor ?

Last edited:

Optipook1

Joined Jul 25, 2017
1. What is your Brushed DC Motor's max current rating ?
2. Is it a 12V Motor ?
3. Why not use a H-Bridge IC instead of using Mosfets ?
4. Do you plan to use H-Bridge Driver with PWM input to control the speed of motor ?
1. 2.19A each
2. Yes
3. I would like to build a dual h bridge board to be able to use even for stronger motors I'll be willing to add later.
4. No, because the board is made and mounted and I had/have no idea how to transmit PWM over RF.

Optipook1

Joined Jul 25, 2017
1. 2.19A each
2. Yes
3. I would like to build a dual h bridge board to be able to use even for stronger motors I'll be willing to add later.
4. No, because the board is made and mounted and I had/have no idea how to transmit PWM over RF.
Stronger motors, because if I end up add extra stuff to my rover, to turn into a tank, to bring cargo or other robots...

Optipook1

Joined Jul 25, 2017
What help you need ?
The original question was if my h bridge design was ok, I was making wiring errors during simulation on breadboard.
Then I asked(curiosity) if I could of used logic gates instead of BJTs, I still used BJTs.
Then I asked about RF problems with range, someone had pointed that the antenna had come off, (that was my mistake)
Then I asked how to increase the range, on another thread
The latest question of this thread was if it was of to put resistors in front of the inputs of a 7486 X OR or use a 4070.
I'm sure I'll end up needing PWM, (I said no because I have a personal deadline before September, so ordering parts and redoing circuits is not an option for this project).
But now I have a new question:

What mods do I have to make in order to use PWM and how would I send it over RF, what frequency should I use to transmit?
Would the logic gate circuit work for PWM, was posted before from another person?

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
You don't transmit PWM. The remote control will transmit PWM duty value and receiver (robot) will have a micocontroller and it will read the duty value and set the PWM to motors according to it.

MCU will drive FET drivers and FET drivers will drive H-Bridge and H-Bridge(s) Motor(s).

If you want I can design a good circuit and write code for your remote control and also robot driver board.

I need max 2 days to complete the project.

Optipook1

Joined Jul 25, 2017
You don't transmit PWM. The remote control will transmit PWM duty value and receiver (robot) will have a micocontroller and it will read the duty value and set the PWM to motors according to it.

MCU will drive FET drivers and FET drivers will drive H-Bridge and H-Bridge(s) Motor(s).

If you want I can design a good circuit and write code for your remote control and also robot driver board.

I need max 2 days to complete the project.
Wow! I would really appreciate all that help I such little time! I think I have a Arduino Uno for the coding.
Thanks again!

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
Wow! I would really appreciate all that help I such little time! I think I have a Arduino Uno for the coding.
Thanks again!
2 Arduinos ? One for Transmitter an done for receiver ? Or Do you need Transreceiver ?

If Arduino, I will use mikroC PRO AVR for coding. Is it ok. I will provide C Code.

I will use FET Driver and MOSFET H-Bridge. I will not use P-Type MOSFET.

Can you use Logic gate Power Mosfet (N-Channel) for H-Bridge ?

Explain how you want your remote control to work ?

Should it have a On/Off and Rev/Fwd switch with a POT to control the duty of the PWM ?

If switches are needed can it be tactile switches or should it be toggle switches ?

Last edited:

Optipook1

Joined Jul 25, 2017
2 Arduinos ? One for Transmitter an done for receiver ? Or Do you need Transreceiver ?

If Arduino, I will use mikroC PRO AVR for coding. Is it ok. I will provide C Code.

I will use FET Driver and MOSFET H-Bridge. I will not use P-Type MOSFET.

Can you use Logic gate Power Mosfet (N-Channel) for H-Bridge ?

Explain how you want your remote control to work ?

Should it have a On/Off and Rev/Fwd switch with a POT to control the duty of the PWM ?

If switches are needed can it be tactile switches or should it be toggle switches ?
1. I have one Arduino, but I could go ahead and buy another
2. One for transmitter and for receiver
3. Yes I can use P type mosfet,(irl520), But I have ~6 left, but that shouldn't be a problem.
4. Two ways to work, either to control each track individually like a tank(left would be Ldown Rup)
Or just forward backward and to turn. Which ever is easier.
5. To control the PWM, I was thinking:
- switch to choose between full speed and speed control, and yes a POT to control the speed.
Because I'm not sure if PWM will make the motors turn at their full speed.
Thanks again!

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
1. I have one Arduino, but I could go ahead and buy another
2. One for transmitter and for receiver
3. Yes I can use P type mosfet,(irl520), But I have ~6 left, but that shouldn't be a problem.
4. Two ways to work, either to control each track individually like a tank(left would be Ldown Rup)
Or just forward backward and to turn. Which ever is easier.
5. To control the PWM, I was thinking:
- switch to choose between full speed and speed control, and yes a POT to control the speed.
Thanks again!
A simulation of H-Bridge in Proteus which I made.

http://www104.zippyshare.com/v/8H738Go2/file.html

How many motors in the tank ? 2 or 4 ?

Forget Arduino. I will give you circuit with PIC18F46K22. Use it. I will also give code for PIC18F46K22. It will use Internal Oscillator.

The circuit which is shown in video lacks some critical components like bootstrap diode for IR2184. UF4007 has to be used. Also 4x UF4007 are needed in Gate circuit. Proteus was saying there is no Lisa model for UF4004 and hence I omitted the bootstrap and other diodes.

I will give you final circuit tomorrow which you can safely build.

I want to know how much you can spend for a good and efficient Mosfet ?

What is your current requirement ? 12A, 40A, 75A for Motor(s) ?

Only 12V motors or higher rated motors you have ?

Last edited:

Optipook1

Joined Jul 25, 2017
A simulation of H-Bridge in Proteus which I made.

http://www104.zippyshare.com/v/8H738Go2/file.html

How many motors in the tank ? 2 or 4 ?

Forget Arduino. I will give you circuit with PIC18F46K22. Use it. I will also give code for PIC18F46K22. It will use Internal Oscillator.
I have 2 motors, I'll go take a look at the simulation in a few moments, and ok for the PIC1846K22,
How do you find these pieces, where do you go look?

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
I have 2 motors, I'll go take a look at the simulation in a few moments, and ok for the PIC1846K22,
How do you find these pieces, where do you go look?
Motors and other components like diodes, etc,... are available locally and they are very cheap. Microcontrollers I buy directly from microchipDirect.com.

It is not a simulation I posted. it is a simulation video.

You need Proteus 6.6.3 to view and simulate my Proteus design. If you have non demo version of Proteus 8.6.3 then I will post the Proteus Simulation file.

Which country are you from.

I also buy from SparkFun, mikroE and other websites.

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
Thanks again!
If IR21xx devices are using with 4x N-Channel Mosfets then you cannot have 100% PWM duty. Maybe 95% duty will work.

I am now designing the final circuit. Only one PWM will beused,

You did not answer whether you want 2x toggle switches in the remote control to turn On/Off and to change direction to fwd/rev or whether you can go with 2x tactile switches.

Optipook1

Joined Jul 25, 2017
If IR21xx devices are using with 4x N-Channel Mosfets then you cannot have 100% PWM duty. Maybe 95% duty will work.

I am now designing the final circuit. Only one PWM will beused,

You did not answer whether you want 2x toggle switches in the remote control to turn On/Off and to change direction to fwd/rev or whether you can go with 2x tactile switches.
2 momentary toogle switches, sorry about that