A discussion about ESD

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I just got a nice shipment from Tayda last week for our end of semester project, they are now packing in pink poly bags... it’s all THT and again no problems.
The pink poly bags are not totally ESD safe, they are static neutral. They do not generate static, but they don't dissipate it either.

Still waiting on my order to arrive.

Moderator note:
This thread was split from
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/wtb-1-4w-5-resistors-in-small-lots.158027/
Wendy.

Last edited:

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Hmm that’s new to me, I believe we were taught that there’s a coating on the pink poly that does dissipate. I vaguely recall that its similar to soap.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
True antistatic bags are Faraday cages. They dissipate the charge around the component while insulating the contents from the charge. Pink plastic conducts, but does not insulate the contents. Pink plastic is conductive, but in an extreme ESD event the component is not insulated,and could be subject to damage. A Faraday cage will block RF as well, which would block an EMP as well as static. The difference is subtle but exists.

Before this thread drifts any further Off Topic I will Move these posts to a new thread. Wait for it, my hunt and peck style of typing slows me down a lot.

The silver bags have to be more expensive but are predominantly used anyhow, ask your self why.

Funny thing I was about to start a new Thread about ESD but this thread temporarily derailed it. The mental effects from my stroke strongly resemble ADD (attention deficit disorder)

Last edited:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
In short, a pink bag will not generate a static potential by friction, but when subjected to outside electric field it can conduct that through the insides.
The silver bag will act like a faraday cage and conduct that charge around the protected components inside.

But the way I see it lately, silver bags tend to be used for moisture control purposes rather than for the difference in static electricity properties, so I would guess they are more impenetrable to moisture when heat sealed properly than a pink zip loc bag.