A development board made with PIC

Carlos Martínez 1

Joined Nov 23, 2016
Hello, as a personal project I would like to improve my skills in hardware design by making my(our if you want) development board, the problem here is that I don't have much experience in this...so all the help you can provide me would be very appreciated.

First things first...

Picking the microcontroller, I'd use a 18F4550. Why? Because its features:

• USB
  • Flexible Oscillator Structure
  • Amout of pins
  • DIP and SPIC Packages
  • Free development software provided by Microchip
More information at its datasheet.
On eBay.

But if you want, you can use your favorite microcontroller or any cheaper pic.

Ofcourse, you will need a programmer, I recommend PicKit3 because its compatibility with MPLAB X IDE(The software from Microchip), but also can use PicKit2 or even a clone or another compatible with PIC programmer(As long as it supports PIC18F4550 40 pins or the pic you are using).

On eBay.

That would be all for today, I will keep on going as soon as I got more results.

TODO:

• Picking correctly complementary elements(Resistors, Capacitors, Regulators and so on).
  • Design the PCB and printing it.
  • Improve programming skills and knowledge of Microcontrollers and PICs.
  • Keep on going.
Because of the nature of this, I'd really appreciate any recommentation, suggestion, advice, scolding and complain that make the project better for all of us.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For a lead on what there is out there or to get an idea, there is the PICDEM 2 PLUS demo boards on the Picmicro site with schematics and software in Assy and C.
Max.

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
DM163025-1 - PICDEM FS USB Demo Board (PIC18F45K50)
Part Number: DM163025-1 $59.99
https://www.microchipdirect.com/product/search/all/DM163025-1

The PICDEM FS USB Demonstration Kit is designed as an easy-to-use evaluation platform for Microchips PIC18F2x/4xK50 family of USB MCUs. These devices support full-speed USB communication without the need for an external crystal, which allows significant cost savings and reduced design effort. The demo kit provides all of the hardware needed to demonstrate and develop a complete USB communication solution. Additional software is available for free at Microchips Libraries for Applications.

You can program it with just a USB cable.

That one was the first PIC I got, with an 18F4550 in 2005