A decoder?

Lasse Hedegaard

Joined Jan 11, 2017
Im doing a presentation, and i need to tell what a decoder is and where it is used in the computer?
Could somebody please explain that? :)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I suspect a major point of the assignment was for you to research information to answer the question, not just ask others to answer it for you.

What have YOU done to try to find information about what a decoder is and how it is used in a computer? Hint: Google is your friend.

Lasse Hedegaard

Joined Jan 11, 2017
The reason why im asking in here, is because im having troubles figuring it out.
Because in our assignment it says just "Decoder", but is a Decoder and a binary decoder the same?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
For your application, you are looking for a binary decode (as opposed to something like a voice decoder).

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Im doing a presentation, and i need to tell what a decoder is and where it is used in the computer? Could somebody please explain that? :)
Context matters here, as "decoder" has multiple meanings even within the realm of digital logic. As one of the basic combinatorial logic functions, "decoder" might refer to this chip or something similar, which decodes an N-bit vector into 1-of-2^N outputs; in data communication, "decoder" might refer to something like this one, as a function which decodes a Manchester-encoded data stream to yield NRZ data and its associated clock. There are other meanings, which I will leave to you to find.