A crazy idea about an electric thruster

ZhixianLin

Joined Dec 7, 2015
Hey Guys,

I designed a new kind of eletric thruster. According to my calculations, its thrust can be much higher than radiation pressure.

The principle is: We know that on the electromagnetic wave propagation path, the direction of electric field at a point changes periodically. If there is a charged object at the point also changes its charge property periodically with the same frequency, then the electric field force direction on the object will not change. Therefore, the object will do directional movement. Based on this, it is possible to design a spacecraft without propellant. And the calculation suggests that the thrust can be much higher than radiation pressure.

It seems impossible, but my calculation suggests that it is possible. Can someone explain it?

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hey Guys,

I designed a new kind of eletric thruster. According to my calculations, its thrust can be much higher than radiation pressure.

The principle is: We know that on the electromagnetic wave propagation path, the direction of electric field at a point changes periodically. If there is a charged object at the point also changes its charge property periodically with the same frequency, then the electric field force direction on the object will not change. Therefore, the object will do directional movement. Based on this, it is possible to design a spacecraft without propellant. And the calculation suggests that the thrust can be much higher than radiation pressure.

It seems impossible, but my calculation suggests that it is possible. Can someone explain it?
A propellant is still required, isn't it?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Explain your own calculation to you? Sure, i think i can do that! K is the constant, i is an imaginary number, and once you reduce it to the easter bunny, it should be pretty straight forward. Carry the 9th digit to the tens place, and subtract the inverse of the fractional integer, Voila!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yes.

While I am dubious of this idea, there is the Crookes Radiometer. It will indeed move if exposed to a unidirectional light source.

Of course, this is a red herring, since it is a heat engine. But how about light sails?

Last edited:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
During the development of the atomic bomb, engineers were sent to surrounding bars, around Los Alamos, to talk about how they were building electric rocket engines as a dis-information strategy.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I think that when hf is absorbed, it imparts spin energy, not linear. The HiPwr lasers just burn the target, they don’t move it. At least I haven’t heard that yet.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
During the development of the atomic bomb, engineers were sent to surrounding bars, around Los Alamos, to talk about how they were building electric rocket engines as a dis-information strategy.
Is that true? Can you document it? I find it a fascinating counter-intelligence strategy