A $700.00 juicer's demise...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It never ceases to amuse me when a company dreams up a luxury product and then tries to sell it (to what they think is a naïve public) as a must-have necessity:

...as the founder Doug Evans, put it in one interview last year: "Not all juice is equal. How do you measure life force? How do you measure chi?"

I find it astounding that 120 million were actually invested in this white elephant.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It never ceases to amuse me when a company dreams up a luxury product and then tries to sell it (to what they think is a naïve public) as a must-have necessity:

...as the founder Doug Evans, put it in one interview last year: "Not all juice is equal. How do you measure life force? How do you measure chi?"

I find it astounding that 120 million were actually invested in this white elephant.
They are offering refunds until December 1. I wonder if they mean refunds to customers or investors.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
A $700.00 juicer's demise...
For a moment -just a moment- I was expecting a heavy drinker's Obito_O

Seriously though, inasmuch as $700 is quite 'in line' with similar products (e.g. decent blenders and 'mid range' food processors) - I doubt the problem was as simple as a product 'priced out of the market'?

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
For a moment -just a moment- I was expecting a heavy drinker's Obito_O

Seriously though, inasmuch as $700 is quite 'in line' with similar products (e.g. decent blenders and 'mid range' food processors) - I doubt the problem was as simple as a product 'priced out of the market'?

Best regards
HP
Read the report, the Bloomberg story showed that internet enabled connection was not required to get great juice, just a pair of human hands pushing the juicing plates together is enough. The whole internet thing was a gimmick - no information, it didn't even tell you the morning weather.

Also, Bloomburgs story was making fun of the $700 juicer but that was the price on the day they published the story. Shortly before, the price of the juicer was $1200.

I don't know how you one-percenters live but I expect some performance difference between a $75 juicer and a $700 juicer (even if it is wifi-enabled - that is not worth $675 to me).

PS. The juice company never disclosed their security efforts, that means some Chinese hacker could tap into my juicer and figure out whether I prefer my juice with heavy-, light-, or no-pulp. I would feel so violated.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Read the report, the Bloomberg story showed that internet enabled connection was not required to get great juice, just a pair of human hands pushing the juicing plates together is enough. The whole internet thing was a gimmick - no information, it didn't even tell you the morning weather.

Also, Bloomburgs story was making fun of the $700 juicer but that was the price on the day they published the story. Shortly before, the price of the juicer was $1200.

I don't know how you one-percenters live but I expect some performance difference between a $75 juicer and a $700 juicer (even if it is wifi-enabled - that is not worth $675 to me).

PS. The juice company never disclosed their security efforts, that means some Chinese hacker could tap into my juicer and figure out whether I prefer my juice with heavy-, light-, or no-pulp. I would feel so violated.
1%-ers are too prudent to invest in crap like this. I don't even drink juice anymore.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
1%-ers are too prudent to invest in crap like this. I don't even drink juice anymore.
Google and other Venture Capital Companies invested in them. It was all big organizations, no Average Joes.

My 1% comment was talking about HP's claim that $700 wasn't an outrageous price for a countertop appliance.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The motor was wound with 'oxygen free copper wire', and the cord was made by Monster cable.

As far as addressing HP's thinking on what is a "good value" I've been down that path, see the last few pages of the EHT thread.:)
Here, from Kitchenaid.com.

Note that an extra 4-inches of stainless steel shaft on the immersion mixer costs $100.
And the orange cord and protection grate add $600 to the classic kitchen aid mixer.

IMG_0112.PNG

Here is the "Pro" series...

IMG_0113.PNG

Last edited:

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
The motor was wound with 'oxygen free copper wire', and the cord was made by Monster cable.
Sounds like it's tailor-made for the kind of people who think their $1000 hi-fi power cables and $1500 speaker cables make for better sound.

As my dear departed Mother would say, this thing is for people who "have more dollars than sense."

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Sounds like it's tailor-made for the kind of people who think their $1000 hi-fi power cables and $1500 speaker cables make for better sound.

As my dear departed Mother would say, this thing is for people who "have more dollars than sense."
You haven't heard audiophile sound until you've heard Monster cables! I started hearing calming, silky smooth tones with driving bass and crystal clear trebles before I even took them out of the box.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Read the article in the first post. Initial price was $700. It was later lowered to $400, and then to $200 right before the whole thing was called off.
Ha, $700, look below from Bloomberg.

Kippy Williams, owner of Kippy’s Organic Non-Dairy Ice Cream Shop in Los Angeles and Toyko, said she purchased her Juicero late last year for $1,200. (Juicero charges businesses a premium, she said.) Williams, a self-proclaimed health-food evangelist, said she’d like to see the company sell packs by themselves to people who can’t afford the device. “It would be great if they offered people the opportunity to buy the packs and press them by hand,” she said. “I want juice for every man, woman and child.”​

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...alley-s-400-juicer-may-be-feeling-the-squeeze

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Williams, a self-proclaimed health-food evangelist, said she’d like to see the company sell packs by themselves to people who can’t afford the device. “It would be great if they offered people the opportunity to buy the packs and press them by hand,” she said. “I want juice for every man, woman and child.”
Forget the damn juice; I want beer. A nice, tall, cold Penn Pilsner, to be exact...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Same with 'super' HDMI cables that salesmen try and sell you on when buying Video equipment, My brother-in-law is a district salesman for Samsung and he told me most of his income comes from the cables.
Its a digital signal!
I never used to hear anything at all when it was analogue!
Max.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Its a digital signal!
The package for a Philips "digital" TV antenna (or maybe it is the coax for the antenna) that shows how the picture is distorted by a lesser product. The distortion is what you would see on an analog TV. :rolleyes:

Philips was once a company I had respect for... that is until the marketing depart went off the rails advertising their for consumer products.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Same with 'super' HDMI cables that salesmen try and sell you on when buying Video equipment, My brother-in-law is a district salesman for Samsung and he told me most of his income comes from the cables.
Its a digital signal!
I never used to hear anything at all when it was analogue!
Max.
Our Maintenance guys just tried to snake a 50-foot HDMI cable from a conference room desk to the floor, up the wall and to a ceiling mounted projector. Projector said "No signal". The AV expert was called in and recommended either a $50 signal booster or a Monster cable ($200 from Amazon in two days and $300 from him same day). Since the boss didn't want another device to worry about (booster), he went for the $300 Monster cable today. To my surprise, it worked.