5V 3A boost converter for Li-ion batteryy

Hamza100

Joined Dec 18, 2021
Hi, I need some help in designing a boost converter that can deliver 5V 3A momentarily, maximum for 1 sec and about 0.2A in a continuous operaton for a robotic hand application. Also, can you guys help in suggesting appropriate batteries for this purpose?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
What is providing the motive power for the hand and what are the minimum and maximum voltages specified for it? What are you controlling it with and what is its voltage requirements? It may be much simpler to just use batteries without a converter.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Motors depend on current and with a boost converter you are getting less current out than you put in. It would be better to configure your batteries in such a way that you have their full current capability when you need it.

Hamza100

Joined Dec 18, 2021
What is providing the motive power for the hand and what are the minimum and maximum voltages specified for it? What are you controlling it with and what is its voltage requirements? It may be much simpler to just use batteries without a converter.
Hi, thanks for reply. I do not understand by the word "motive of power for the hand". We need a steady voltage of 5V. Different control methods can be used which is another subject. Is it possible to provide steady 5V with a battery without a converter?

Hamza100

Joined Dec 18, 2021
Motors depend on current and with a boost converter you are getting less current out than you put in. It would be better to configure your batteries in such a way that you have their full current capability when you need it.
No doubt about it. Can you recommend some battery manufacturer or some website where I can get small-sized batteries? I am not looking for cells but batteries like we use in our mobile phones.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
No doubt about it. Can you recommend some battery manufacturer or some website where I can get small-sized batteries? I am not looking for cells but batteries like we use in our mobile phones.
I am unable to recommend any specific batteries since I have not had occasion to use or purchase any batteries in over 3 decades.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The "battery" in a cell phone is a single cell.

You would be better off using 2 cells to get 7.4V nominal then PWM to keep the power from being too high.

Bob

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Hi, thanks for reply. I do not understand by the word "motive of power for the hand". We need a steady voltage of 5V. Different control methods can be used which is another subject. Is it possible to provide steady 5V with a battery without a converter?
By motive power I mean what makes it move. Are you using R/C type servos or geared motors of some kind? What are the their operating voltage limits and individual loaded current requirements? You still didn't mention what you are controlling it with. Without all that information I can not even guess at the best way to power it.

Hamza100

Joined Dec 18, 2021
By motive power I mean what makes it move. Are you using R/C type servos or geared motors of some kind? What are the their operating voltage limits and individual loaded current requirements? You still didn't mention what you are controlling it with. Without all that information I can not even guess at the best way to power it.
We are using dc motors. There are 5 DC motors with stall current of 0.5A at 5V. We are using an arduino micro-controller to control it.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
You will run into intermittent controller problems if you use a single 5V source for the controller and motors. The voltage regulation will need to handle transient noise from the motors and 2.5A step changes in current in order to not interfere with the operation of the Arduino. I would recommend a small, well regulated source for the Arduino and a separate battery without regulation to drive the motors.

Hamza100

Joined Dec 18, 2021
You will run into intermittent controller problems if you use a single 5V source for the controller and motors. The voltage regulation will need to handle transient noise from the motors and 2.5A step changes in current in order to not interfere with the operation of the Arduino. I would recommend a small, well regulated source for the Arduino and a separate battery without regulation to drive the motors.
That is great idea. Can you recommend some ICs to step up voltage?